No Zerk fittings........

Status
Not open for further replies.
On many vehicles, there's no Zerk fittings. Is it worthwile to squeeze the rubber boot occasionally to get some of the grease back on the metal-metal friction point? Would this increase the joints longevity?

That's not a bad idea. If anything it's a good way to check the boots for leaks. From what I've experienced, the sealed ball joints aren't bad. I've gotten well over 100Kmi on them. The only way to properly grease the drive shaft slip yokes on my 4x4 isuzu rodeo is to drop the drive shafts
shocked.gif
!! No zerks on that baby at all
mad.gif
!!
Joel

Most of the sealed items last as long as the lubed counterparts if they are going to fail prematurely they will just as the lubed parts.

quote:

Originally posted by Steve S:
Most of the sealed items last as long as the lubed counterparts if they are going to fail prematurely they will just as the lubed parts.

I can't "buy this" Steve.
Oh, perhaps if the owner does not lube the fittings,
but are you saying that having a fitting and lubing with a HIGH quality lube, you are not going to get the part to last longer than a sealed unit?

The new 1988 Chevy trucks, and several years there after, were proof against this. There was a service bulletin that replaced these with greaseable joints. After several years, they learned their lesson and went back to greaseable joints from the factory. My 2001 has them.

quote:

Originally posted by Steve S:
Most of the sealed items last as long as the lubed counterparts ...

That seems to be my experience on my 21 year old daily driver. The two ball joints have a zerk fitting for lube. The inner and outer tie rod ends and the 3 u-joints on the drive shaft are original sealed without the ability to add grease. None of the joints have failed so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back