chassis grease for lightweight race car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a grease to pump through the zerk fittings on the chassis & suspension my Panoz Roadster. This is an open wheeled car that weighs under 2500 lbs. I don't drive this car in the rain and I don't drive it if it's too cold out. However, the suspension joints are exposed so they will get wet whenever I wash the car. It's primarily an autox / competition car but I also drive on the street.

I'm guessing Schaeffer's 221 or 238 will be recommended. Is there any reason NOT to use the thicker 238 stuff?

quote:

Originally posted by MRC01:
I'm looking for a grease to pump through the zerk fittings on the chassis & suspension my Panoz Roadster. This is an open wheeled car that weighs under 2500 lbs. I don't drive this car in the rain and I don't drive it if it's too cold out. However, the suspension joints are exposed so they will get wet whenever I wash the car. It's primarily an autox / competition car but I also drive on the street.

I'm guessing Schaeffer's 221 or 238 will be recommended. Is there any reason NOT to use the thicker 238 stuff?

P.S.
Panoz uses Mystic JT-6. They say any good quality ball joint grease can be used.

How does Mystic JT-6 compare to Schaeffer's 221 or 238? Any recommendations? I'm leaning toward Schaeffer's 238 but which weight should I get: 0, 1, 2 or 3. Thanks.

[ July 31, 2003, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: MRC01 ]

You can use the 238#2 on the ball joints but the 221 #2 will do as well. Being you are farther up north, with high humidity(fog) and such, If me, I'd go with the 221#2. Trust me, as for protection, it will serve you exceptionally well, wet, cold, dry and hot.

2nd, cost is very reasonable for that grease.

I believe mystic is a lithium based and unlike many who think lithium is water proof, it is not. Lithium base greases will absorb water into the complex when exposed to water and that sits in the bearings where you really don't water. Ever seen bearings with pits in the races?Also lithium will wash out under pressure whereas the alum complex 221 schaeffers will not. Ask anyone who has tried the schaeffers grease, and I don't think you'll find one person who has anything negative to say about the schaeffers grease. In all the years I've sold the grease, I have NEVER heard a bad instance where this grease was used except once.. Guy had tube on seat of truck and he sat on it and it ooozed out. Not too happy that it wouldn't wash out of clothes and seat cover. Oh well, can't win em all I suppose.

[ July 31, 2003, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back