RadioShack's Multi-Purpose Lube Gel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
well... after reading many threads of this forum I felt virtually illeterate on lubricants... So, hi all !..

I find this lubricant. There are good properties mentioned on the bottle; non-toxic, works -45F to +450F, impervious to salt, does not attract dust, good adhesion, stability in wet, and is dielectric.

As the name "RadioShack" suggests I think this gel mainly is for electric motors. On the bottle it says "it works almost on any product". But this statement sounds too brave and overly generalized to me like "ACME axle grease: guaranteed slippery"
smile.gif

I would like to have some opinions on what are the limitations and possibilities of this lubricant. Can I use it for mechanic speedo internals? Will this gel provide a lubrication that lasts? Specifically there is an axle of ~2mm dia running inside a brass bearing. This is what chirps right now, and removing speedo is costing to much time (with a head in the ground attempt I greased it before with spray white lithium grase which lasted only ~15K miles)

Below is the listing of ingredients as shown in the MSDS sheet.

What do you think?

code:

Hydrogenated polyalfaolefins 70-80%

Petroleum hydrocarbons 10-20%

Antioxidant 0.5-2%

Fumed silica 7-10%

Styrene-ethylene 3-5%

Polytetraflouroethylene 0.5-2%

Polyols 1-2%

ref: http://support.radioshack.com/support_supplies/doc2/2946.htm

I have not used the stuff so I can not vouch for it. What you should probably use is Krytex Grease. It is the grease used normaly in lubed for life automotive applications. It is expensive put it will last! I do not know the spec.'s for it off hand but based on it's propertys it must be ester and polyo based.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
I have not used the stuff so I can not vouch for it. What you should probably use is Krytex Grease. It is the grease used normaly in lubed for life automotive applications. It is expensive put it will last! I do not know the spec.'s for it off hand but based on it's propertys it must be ester and polyo based.

Ohhh? you don't have any idea the specs for Krytex grease and you state it is the grease used normally in lubed for life auto applications, so this is what you base your recommendations on?. Myself, I've not heard of that grease, not that means anything.

What is an ester or polyo base grease? I don't mean to sound ignorant here but are you refering to the complex or the oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back