221 # 2 in the winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if Schaeffer's 221#2 will protect in the winter time? The label says it can be hand pumped at something like 30 degrees F. Does it get "hard" in the cold temps?

chris,

Most all of our guys sell the 221 #2 up north. You shouldn't have much if any problem with pumpability. If it does get too hard, then switch to a 221 #1 for that time frame. it's the same with a little less tac.

Thanks Bob! So will it say "slick" and protect in sub 0 temps? I think I'll put a dab in the freezer and see what happends. If it does harden a bit will this cause the ball joints to wear faster?

quote:

Originally posted by Chris B.:
Thanks Bob! So will it say "slick" and protect in sub 0 temps? I think I'll put a dab in the freezer and see what happends. If it does harden a bit will this cause the ball joints to wear faster?

Crhis ..I'll put a little of the 221 #2 and the 238 including some Mobile 1 in the freezer for a couple of days then post back here with my results..I'm curious to see what happens also
grin.gif

I've been using the #221 since last Fall,and during the Winter it got down into the single digits many nights and seemed to work just fine in the farm machinery,I'm more than happy with it. Seems to be holding up to the heat very well too
cool.gif
,even in the dust during hay making.I don't think you'll have any problems in ball joints and such during cold weather.
tongue.gif

Ok after 12 hours in the freezer the 221#2 was a lot harder but when I pushed my finger into it it was still stuck to it and was still stringey. Will this be a problem for the ball joints in the winter? The 221 lasts so long that there is no way it will be gone by winter time so it will still be in the boots.

What did you find Greaser?

quote:

Ok after 12 hours in the freezer the 221#2 was a lot harder but when I pushed my finger into it it was still stuck to it and was still stringey. Will this be a problem for the ball joints in the winter? The 221 lasts so long that there is no way it will be gone by winter time so it will still be in the boots.

What did you find Greaser?

I am leaving my samples in the deep freeze till the week-end..I'll post back then...they have been in there since Monday...we'll see what happens.

OK..My wife was getting angry for putting grease in the freezer so I took the samples out to-day...after 4 days in the deep freeze.I took a clean Q-tip for each sample and pushed it in,then removed it slowly.The 238 preformed the best.It was a tad stiff but withdrew easily and had a string of tack to it.The 221 was firmer than the 238 and withdrew with alot of tack to it,very stringy.The Mobil 1 was very soft but had no tack on the Q-tip at all.The old Quaker State Golden chassis grease I had laying around was almost as soft as the Mobil 1 but againd no tack.The QS grease is discontinued anyways.Mind you these are unscientific observations at best..but IMO the 238 performed the best all-round..not too stiff and had a little string of tack to it...may-be due to the synthetic in it..I don't know...but these are my observations.Why my wife thinks freezing grease is crazy..I don't know
dunno.gif
grin.gif

Greaser, My wife is the same way! "what is this in my freezer"!!!
grin.gif
Got to love em'!

I only had the 221#2 but it was still tackey and firm. when it is below 0 will do you think this grease will be protecting the joints at all? I wonder if I should try the 274 Moly grease in the winter? But the 221#2 will still be in the boot so I wonder if the 274 will work? How would I get the 221 out of the boot or should I not worry about it?
My wife can't understand why I loose sleep worrying about stuff like this!
grin.gif
Maybe I am worrying to much, what do you think!?!?!?
grin.gif
wink.gif

Chris, don't sweat it. The 221 #2 grease is very commonly used by many farmers and companies up in montana, wisc, mich, ny, and all the northern states with great success and no problems.

As greaser stated, they continue to have tac and they will perform excellent. No need to change it.

I had to work fast once my samples were out in the 75 degree garage atmosphere...I was ready with my paper and pen to jot down my findings quickly before the greases got back up to snuff...which didn't take too long...I figure in about 2-3 minutes they were back into normal consistency as when I placed them on my test container.I was using the Mobil grease but found when I put it on stuff to keep things from rusting ...the stuff still rusted...underneath the grease...if thats possible...the Schaeffers seems to have a good sticky film to it that won't let anything thru it's base.I have some on the skid plate bolts to my Jeep because they were rusting a bit...been thru a few rain storms and the Schaeffers is still hanging on to the bolts...they get direct contact with high speed water deflection from the road and tires...looks good so far.

quote:

Greaser, My wife is the same way! "what is this in my freezer"!!!
grin.gif
Got to love em'!

I only had the 221#2 but it was still tackey and firm. when it is below 0 will do you think this grease will be protecting the joints at all? I wonder if I should try the 274 Moly grease in the winter? But the 221#2 will still be in the boot so I wonder if the 274 will work? How would I get the 221 out of the boot or should I not worry about it?
My wife can't understand why I loose sleep worrying about stuff like this!
grin.gif
Maybe I am worrying to much, what do you think!?!?!?
grin.gif
wink.gif

I feel that tacky grease is better than grease that will stay malable,but will wash out leaving a suspension componant vunerable to rust...your power steering pump's hydralics are actually quite powerfull..if you feel the stiff grease will give it a hard time working the steering...I've seen drag links get bent by people trying to get a jammed tire out between two rocks with a Jeep..if a steering pump can bend steel,it will move stiff grease around no problem.

I noticed that with in seconds the 221 was very slick and tacky and with in 1 push into the 221 it was soft again!

So which one would you recommend for all round use in Georgia, the 221 or 238? And what would the difference be?

quote:

Originally posted by wlkjr:
So which one would you recommend for all round use in Georgia, the 221 or 238? And what would the difference be?

I like the 238..Schaeffers grease with the most additives...they clain their best...go to their web site and check it out...where you live you won't even have to think twice about really cold weather
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back