Schaeffer's 221 Report --Ball Joints, Steering knuckles, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just submitting a report on Schaeffer’s 221 moly grease. I used it for the first time on the suspension and steering components on my 96 Jeep ZJ (Grand Cherokee for those not familiar with Jeep nomenclature). To say I’m impressed would be an understatement. The 221 eliminated much of the slop in the front end. Steering is crisper, and I no longer get disconcerting that loosey goosey feel when hitting bumps and ruts in the road.

I had no idea that grease was capable of this. Previously, I regularly greased my ball joints, steering knuckles, etc., with Mobil 1 synthetic grease. I decided to switch greases because the M1 always seemed to leak out this thin red oil. I choose 221 because of the glowing reports on this fine board. Well, here is one more. Great stuff!

Thanks for the report. I attended a car show in central Wisconsin last week, and lo and behold, a Schaeffer's vendor was there, so I bought a tube of #221 and can't wait to try it out. Also bought some Neutra. And as always, now I wish I would have purchased more of the stuff.

Yeah. The Neutra is really great stuff. I buy it by the gallon. I have a local jobber here in Fresno. I can get a gallon for about $11.

I put 221 in one grease gun,238 in another,and have the Mobil in another..all air powered...the Shaeffers seems to be good...it is thicker...but won't cure a bad joint IMO.The 221 is in the ball park with the old Quaker State Golden chassis grease I loved so much..it had brass powder in it..but is discontinued...the Schaeffers has aluminum powder in it...still a little leary about using it in bearings...Schaeffers site says it's (221) for non-friction bearings only..all in all the Schaeffers will take the place of my beloved Golden chassis grease.

quote:

Originally posted by Greaser:
I put 221 in one grease gun,238 in another,and have the Mobil in another..all air powered...the Shaeffers seems to be good...it is thicker...but won't cure a bad joint IMO.The 221 is in the ball park with the old Quaker State Golden chassis grease I loved so much..it had brass powder in it..but is discontinued...the Schaeffers has aluminum powder in it...still a little leary about using it in bearings...Schaeffers site says it's (221) for non-friction bearings only..all in all the Schaeffers will take the place of my beloved Golden chassis grease.

Schaeffer's 221 grease does not contain aluminum powder. It does contain moly powder. 221 is good for all anti-friction (ball, roller, & needle) bearings as well as pin & bushing type bearings--subject to the correct grease consistency for the rotational speed...#2, #1, etc. The thickener of the grease is aluminum complex, not metalic aluminum powder. The aluminum complex base vs. the usual lithium or lithium complex base is the reason the Schaeffer's grease is waterproof and good for temperatures up to 350°F. Schaeffer's greases will make a sloppy fit feel tighter for a time because it stays in place better than most other greases.

Ken

[ July 20, 2003, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

Thanks Ken...what is the aluminum complex composed of...and why aluminum
dunno.gif
brass makes sense,since brass has natural lubricating properties.

It is not metallic aluminum...it's aluminum benzoate stearate, a chemical. And, it's not for the lubrication...that's the job of the oil added to the grease thickener. The aluminum complex base is the thickner that holds the oil.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
It is not metallic aluminum...it's aluminum benzoate stearate, a chemical. And, it's not for the lubrication...that's the job of the oil added to the grease thickener. The aluminum complex base is the thickner that holds the oil.

Ken

Gotcha..but why aluminum benzoate..and something else besides that...is it superior or just good and cost effective...trying to learn a little here
gr_eek2.gif

HTD

I'm just a few hundred miles north of you and I use the 238 in all my grease applications with excellent results.

I never see it drip out, like I used to see with every other grease I tried, of any of the grease points not does it seem too stiff when cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back