Grease for disc brake caliper slider pins

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I worked in a brake shop, we always used Syl Glide from
NAPA. Unfortunately they want an arm and a leg for a tube you can
use and hand down to your grand kids. For less than $2 you can get a
little tube of tune up grease at Advance Auto and likely other places.
It is what I use on all brake parts at home.

There are some silicone based products for that- SylGlide, typically at any FLAPS, works well. I've also used thin layers of copper antisieze.

Make sure you get the old stuff out
smile.gif

Luck,
Robert

Oh yes, those must slide freely. Clean them up, buy new ones if rusted and replace the boots and o-rings. The GM brakes work great with clean pins and a little silicone. With their metal to metal grooves, it no wonder the F series trucks won't stop. I hate seeing a blue oval filling my rearview mirror.

Silicon grease is what's recommended for my Honda bikes and cars.

I use the stuff you buy at the hardware store for plumbing service.

Ford specifies dielectric silicone grease or caliper slide grease. Dielectric silicone grease (Ford) is that white stuff but Permatex's is clear. I just use Permatex silicone grease.

We found in our shop that silicone grease worked best because many of the rubber parts used around brake systems are not petro-lube compatible. If the lube doesn't come in contact with the rubber parts Bob's correct...what ever works.

My understanding was that silicon grease is specified because it has better water resistance than other greases.

You don't grease washing off the caliper pins on to the pads or rotors.

Plastilube is great stuff. It is acid-free, copper-free, waterproof, high-temperature resistent, and it sticks like **** . It works also as anti-squeal on the back of brake pads. Also great on door hinges and pedal hinges/linkages.
smile.gif

offtopic.gif
the slide pin in my caliper is rounded off. how can I get it out to change brake pads? is there a special tool for it? any tips or tricks?

quote:

Originally posted by Cutehumor:
offtopic.gif
the slide pin in my caliper is rounded off. how can I get it out to change brake pads? is there a special tool for it? any tips or tricks?

Here is a whole thread of them,http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=24;t=000035.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back