Best Boat Trailer bearing grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A good quality lithium based product would be advised due to the wet conditions. I have never used any but a synthetic offering is probably more resistant to heat and corrosion. The biggest enemy to the grease is backing the trailer into the water after a long trip and having water get in through the seals which may be expanded due to the heat. "Bearing Buddies" are a good idea but you are probably already using them, as they allow you to keep pressure inside the hub which will help keep any water out. Mobil 1 is likely your most readily available synthetic brand name or Kendall L-427 Super Blu-Grease is a good petroleum product for your application.

I'm in California so cold weather performance is no big deal. I run a 3000lb boat trailer long hauls on very hot roads. I'm putting new hibs and bearings on this week and want to start them off right. I will order something if I have to, but would prefer something readily available.
Thanks for the help.

You can easily see how the lithium base grease will let you down.

Put a small dab of grease in the palm of one hand, add some water, and stir it well with a finger. You'll see the grease turn milky as it absorbs water and emulsifies. You'll also notice that the grease no longer clings to your hand.

I know that it's a pain to mail order a tube of Schaeffer's #221 grease from Tim Mills, but it really is worth while, especially for boat trailer wheel bearings. This aluminum complex base grease truly is waterproof...test it yourself.

Ken

Can Shaeffer's 221 Aluminum complex co-exist with Lithium base?

I have some on order from Tim but just wonder if old Lithium will be a problem with 221??

quote:

Originally posted by davefr:
Can Shaeffer's 221 Aluminum complex co-exist with Lithium base?

I have some on order from Tim but just wonder if old Lithium will be a problem with 221??

Yes, it will eventually overtake the lithium complex with continued use. It is compatible with the lithium.

As Ken pointed out, the 221 #2 is water proof, shock proof, won't shear out, wont wash out and will not mix with water, salt or fresh. I have many trailer and bait shops using and selling the schaeffers grease. Just remember'd, got to go to one of my bait shops right now. Later.
cheers.gif

Just as an alternative to the Schaeffer/Amsoil brigade, Mobil SHC PM is a superb boat trailer grease also. ISO 460 synthetic base oil (spelled super thick to provide incredible bearing lubrication at low and extremely high temps: remember, we are lubricating with an oil here. Greases are composed of 85% to 90% oil..) The SHC PM was designed for use in the paper mill industry, where rollers are exposed to direct steam spray; SHC PM is a lithium complex grease but contains water resistant polymer that stabilizes the thickener superbly. A superb boat trailer grease.
George Morrison

Will fairly well any type of grease be comaptible with any other? I've got Plews lithium based in my boat bearing buddies now and would like to change to the white synthetic stuff from Lubrimatic (I think) without having to repack.

Some more alternatives are Coastal Marine grease and Luboron Marine Grease.

However, I am one that always removes old grease, especially if I don't know what was put in there previously.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
However, I am one that always removes old grease, especially if I don't know what was put in there previously.

Well that sounds good, but how is one suppose to remove old grease in ball joints and tie rod ends. I'm just going to start using the #221 and wait and see what happens. If it is water resistant as stated perhaps I will not have to change out the old rubber boots that have cracks in them?

quote:

Originally posted by Cressida:

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:

Well that sounds good, but how is one suppose to remove old grease in ball joints and tie rod ends. I'm just going to start using the #221 and wait and see what happens. If it is water resistant as stated perhaps I will not have to change out the old rubber boots that have cracks in them?

It's not water RESISTANT.. The 221 #2 is WATER PROOF. That's the BIG DIFFERENCE between a lithium and the schaeffers. Also, the Schaeffers 221 IS COMPATIBLE WITH ALL TYPES OF GREASE except a bentone clay base so removal of grease is not so important. Not only that, in many cases that one grease can be used and consolidate a variety of greases keeping the problem of which one to use to a minimum.

quote:

Well obviously, I was referring to ball bearing/axle assemblies that can be torn down.

Schaeffers #221 is a great grease. Use it myself for the sliders on wood splitters, ball joints, and U joints.

For bearings, I prefer the #229.

quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:
-snip
It's not water RESISTANT.. The 221 #2 is WATER PROOF. That's the BIG DIFFERENCE between a lithium and the schaeffers. Also, the Schaeffers 221 IS COMPATIBLE WITH ALL TYPES OF GREASE except a bentone clay base so removal of grease is not so important.--snip-- [/QB]

All types of Lithium and other Bases like Aluminum, Calcium, Poly Butene?

I thought as a rule no bases mix with any OTHER base.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back