UOA 7.3 SD @338,000 mi. Rotella 15-40 Dino

Status
Not open for further replies.
I replaced injectors with Stage 1's and put a 6 posistion tuner 12,000 mi ago & ran 2 short oil changes before this UOA. I asked for a TBN and check for soot and fuel to see how the injectors and motor is doing. Here are the results from Blackstone.

338,000mi on truck & 5,000 mi on Rotella dino

ALUMINUM 1
CHROMIUM 1
IRON 7
COPPER 2
LEAD 3
TIN 1
MOLYBDENUM 3
NICKEL 1
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 7
BORON 27
SILICON 2
SODIUM 5
CALCIUM 2151
MAGNESIUM 8
PHOSPHORUS 973
ZINC 1034

BARIUM 0

TBN 8.4

Also here's a link to 2 other UOA on same truck . 1 with Rotella & 1 with AME Amsoil http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...749#Post1420749

Last edited:
Can't say much, you have an excellent engine. I should call you for advice!! Again I hope my wifes P.S. does as good as yours.

You gotta love the old 7.3PSD!

Very nice UOA with the Rotella. No vis? Did it shear? Just curious. Clearly, even though it may have sheared, in no way did it affect the wear.

Excellent post as a fine examples that dino oils are more than up to the job when it comes to "moderate" OCIs. Did you OCI, or just sample? I suspect you could push that load out much further. With wear that low, (and soot, presumably, but I didn't see an "insolubles" number, which is Blackstones' typical method), and TBN that high, I'd think you could seriously consider 10k miles for the OCI.

Hope this truck goes past the mileage of the last one, at least while still in your grasp!

Last edited:
Vis @210 F. 75.6
Vis @100 C. 14.40
Fuel < 0.5
Insolubles < 0.4

Oil was changed. I am reluctant to extend OCI. I like the "buffer" I have used Rotella Dino except for the 1X with he AME since new. However this change I did switch to Delo 400 dino do to price $8.50 per gal. I have always used Motorcraft oil filters.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Can't say much, you have an excellent engine. I should call you for advice!! Again I hope my wifes P.S. does as good as yours.

Always use a fuel additive. Flush and change coolant every 80,000 mi. Fuel filter every 35,000. Transmision fluid,flush& change every 100,000 mi. Oil every 5,000mi All other fluids every 80,000 mi.
Open hood once a week look @ serpentine belt check all fluids , look for any chaffing on all wires and hoses & fix if needed. Once a day look under truck for wet spots on pavement. Once a month crawl under truck and inspect.

Originally Posted By: ottomatic
Vis @210 F. 75.6
Vis @100 C. 14.40
Fuel < 0.5
Insolubles < 0.4

Oil was changed. I am reluctant to extend OCI. I like the "buffer" I have used Rotella Dino except for the 1X with he AME since new. However this change I did switch to Delo 400 dino do to price $8.50 per gal. I have always used Motorcraft oil filters.

Can't say that it hasn't worked for you!

With 5k mile OCIs, I'd get the least expensive qualified oil you can find; Delo, Rotella, Delvac, VPB, T/E. It won't matter; they'll all work fine.

With such a short OCI, have you ever tried some of the "other" brands like Mystic or Lubrigard? Just curious how they might perform to the known "standards" of the industry.

"With such a short OCI, have you ever tried some of the "other" brands like Mystic or Lubrigard? Just curious how they might perform to the known "standards" of the industry."

No. However this motor would be a prime canidate for such "tests" as I am the only driver and the only one to do maintaince.
I do plan to run current fill in 7.3 5,000mi, change and then refill with Delo and UOA. I am looking for a dino to put back in the DMAX and the toss up is between the Delo and Rotella. After 1000,000 mi on AME in Dmax I am unimpressed.

Last edited:
After doing research the engine should have never made it over 50,000 miles running dino oil according to some BITOGer oil experts.

After doing research the engine should have never made it over 50,000 miles running dino oil according to some BITOGer oil experts.
Not sure where that came from, but here in Cincy I've talked to several ambulance drivers that are nearing 1,000,000 miles on dino 15W40 in a Powerstroke 7.3. Don't see a year on the OP's report, but even the old IDI 7.3s could make 300K on dino oil fine, as long as the cooling system was maintained!

7.3 is a 99.
I had an 86 6.9 (diesel) F 250 stolen with 450,000 mi on it. (which forced me to buy the 99)
The 86 had Penzoil HD 30 (dino) used in it its' entire life with Fram filters. (4,000mi OCI's) Truck was never @ dealer or had a UOA. (ignorance was bliss)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Not sure where that came from, but here in Cincy I've talked to several ambulance drivers that are nearing 1,000,000 miles on dino 15W40 in a Powerstroke 7.3. Don't see a year on the OP's report, but even the old IDI 7.3s could make 300K on dino oil fine, as long as the cooling system was maintained!

I think Steve was being facetious; just throwing in some irony and sarcasim. I, for one, found it amusing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ottomatic
I am looking for a dino to put back in the DMAX and the toss up is between the Delo and Rotella. After 1000,000 mi on AME in Dmax I am unimpressed.

Interesting comment. What specifically are you not impressed with regarding Amsoil? By now, any chemical reaction to Amsoil should have subsided in the Dmax, after 100k miles of use. I, for one, think your experiences would be very informational and your knowledge very credible due to the duration of your Amsoil committment. (note: I presume you meant to type 100,000 miles and not 1000,000 miles?).

Please check out the other UOA from JD4440 (a member with me over at dieselplace as well). I think he has a very challenging Amsoil decision to make as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3

Interesting comment. What specifically are you not impressed with regarding Amsoil? By now, any chemical reaction to Amsoil should have subsided in the Dmax, after 100k miles of use. I, for one, think your experiences would be very informational and your knowledge very credible due to the duration of your Amsoil committment.

What "chemical reaction"? His copper was 3 ppm at 13K miles. His Fe is steady in all his posted UOA's. In fact his metals are pretty much the same regardless of oil choice if you account for miles, seems to me.

If he sticks with 5K intervals, then AME makes no sense. If he goes 15-20K, makes more sense.

Without starting a debate of Dino vs Syn.
Personaly I have over 2 million miles of using dino in vehicles with diesels. None have them had an engine failure. None of them even had a valve cover off except to replace a leaking gasket. The Dmax is the only vehicle I have used a syn in.
I have read 100's of UOA's with dino and syn. The majority of "spikes" in UOA's have been with syn.
My Dmax never really had a spike except for Alu , which I believe was from an Alunimun in bed fuel tank which I added.
However I did break the Dmax motor in with dino for the first 25,000 mi. Which according to engineers and oil co's is un-nesacery.
The same engineers extoll the benifits of uniform molucles. I don't buy that. The varying size of molucules in dino would fill in the nooks and crannies better (my opinion and simplified).

People spend hundreds of dollars for oil by-pass kits and other mod's so they can change their oil once every 25,000 to 50,000mi and forget about it. Which in turn they neglect the simple preventive maintanice which is what a vehicle or equipment really needs.

I have been changing the AME in the Dmax every 10,000 mi which is what the DIC calls for. I am taking the AME which is in the truck now to 15,000 mi and doing a UOA. I have enuff AME and filters for 2 more oil changes whhich should give Dmax 150.000 mi of syn use.
I respect your knowledge and the time you have been taking with your own study of oil . If it would help your study I might be convinced to stick with the AME

One other thing . Personaly I have not done any Crank Case Ventalation mods to the 7.3 PS or Dmax. As I believe the oil vapors are GOOD for a motor. Especialy ones that run dino.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

I think Steve was being facetious; just throwing in some irony and sarcasim. I, for one, found it amusing.

I am glad was appreciated

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Interesting comment. What specifically are you not impressed with regarding Amsoil? By now, any chemical reaction to Amsoil should have subsided in the Dmax, after 100k miles of use. I, for one, think your experiences would be very informational and your knowledge very credible due to the duration of your Amsoil committment.

What "chemical reaction"? His copper was 3 ppm at 13K miles. His Fe is steady in all his posted UOA's. In fact his metals are pretty much the same regardless of oil choice if you account for miles, seems to me.

If he sticks with 5K intervals, then AME makes no sense. If he goes 15-20K, makes more sense.

My apologies, because I wasn't trying to imply that the reaction was ongoing. My intent was to point out that after 100,000 miles of AME, whatever "chemical reaction" that might have been present is very likely to be long gone. The engine should have normalized to the Amsoil by now. It was not my intent to suggest that it's currently undergoing a chemical reaction; sorry if it read that way.

That in mind, I was wondering why he was "unimpressed" by the AME. At only 10k mile OCIs, I can understand why; he's not running the AME nearly far enough out to get any ROI. Even with "normal" UOA numbers from AME, the cost ratio can't even begin to pay back. Why pay for AME and get dino wear results over 10k miles? After 10 AME OCIs at 10k miles each, it's not like he didn't give it a fair chance to impress him; yet he came away "unimpressed".

Seems that he's very committed to "normal" OCI durations. Cannot say that I blame him as he has very extensive personal experience in using dino oils (with a high degree of success, I might add). That in mind, synthetics just don't make sense. It's not like the weather is a factor in Florida, so cold cranking isn't an issue. If he can't/won't extend the OCI to get the ROI and the cold starts are not an issue, why use synthetics at all? Amsoil didn't fail him, it's just that any synthetic is probably not a good fit for his maintenance plan.

I would think that as many miles as he puts on, he'd be a candidate for synthetics and bypass filtration. Excellent opportunity there. But if that's not the path he chooses, then those product don't make sense.

Ottomatic also brings up a great point in that some people who do use synthetics/bypass often tend to "overtrust" the lube system (for a lack of a better term). They are tempted to ignore things they should still be tracking. Just because you extend the OCI, does not mean you can fill and forget. UOAs are a must at that point. And often what happens in these scenarios with small sumps is that the cost of the UOA can often equate to the cost of an dino OCI. Yes, there are some things that a UOA can tell you that would be flushed out with an OCI, but that does not negate the cost/ROI concept. For a Dmax (a relatively small diesel sump at 10 qrts) you can truly OCI for the same cost of a basic Blackstone UOA. (Oil and filters on sale = UOA + postage. If you get TBN, the cost goes up another $10 which makes the OCI way cheaper than the UOA!).

It's not for use to decide his maintenance plan. He's clearly proven he knows how to take trucks out way past where most others would ever own them, and mostly on dino oil.

Last edited:
Nice to see longevity, and a clean UOA from it. Impressive mileage.
thumbsup2.gif

Dnewton;
I am unimpressed with the #'s of the AME in the Dmax with OCI of 10,000 mi. Why? Because with only 2x the miles of Dino as compared to the Ford the #'s are almost 3x as high as the Fords which is running Dino. Also the 7.3 is supposed to be "harder" on oil.

Also in your last post you summoned it up pretty nicely about synthetics' cost effectiveness plan for the way I maintain my vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back