Grease for Ball Joints

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I had Moog lower ball joints put on my Explorer 4x4 to replace the worn out factory "sealed" joints. The new Moog parts are greaseable. So, what's a good grease for ball joints?

I would prefer it's something that can be found locally. None of my other vehicles have zerk fittings so I don't want to have to order grease.

Thanks!!

First let me say that I have only observation for my opion and no hard facts. I have used moly fortified EP grease since I was a kid. My dad would take what was left out of a pail of moly grease ( he would scrap the sides with a child cheater) being thrown away by work and bring it home. I have never had a Timken bearing or Ball joint go bad as long as I have used moly fortified grease due to lubricant failure. I have one truck that has had the same wheel bearing's since 1986. Normaly with greaseable ball joints if they go bad it is because of a boot/seal failing and allowing abrasive dirt in.

Good news, and bad news.

The good news is, I got a grease gun. Bad news is, it's impossible to reach the zerks. I had to get a right angle coupler for the gun, and I don't think any grease got down into the ball joints.
frown.gif

Oh, I got Super Tech Moly Lithium grease. Is this any good? It seems kinda thin.
frown.gif

The ST oil filters seem OK, so maybe the grease is too. You might
try replacing the Zerks with angled ones. I think they come in
straight, 90, 45 degree, and maybe 30 and 60. I actually improved
access to some of the ones on my truck by interchanging them. Do
you have a flexible hose on your grease gun?

There are at least 3 different threads on grease fittings. Some of
them are pressed in and not easily replaced. Figure out what yours
are before buying new ones.

If you will reconcider ordering Schaeffer's 221#2 is probibly the best made. It is an alum. greese and totaly waterproof and very sticky! Better than anything you can buy in the local store and 1 14 oz tube will last you a long time! This has been talked about befor a month or 2 ago so look down a page or 2 or do a search on "greese fittings" or "ball joints" and you wil see more helpful info! Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back