Sprinter Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know what the Load Range letters mean but this tire 195/70R15 C is a Load Range D tire with a 65 psi max psi on the tire racks site. So I am still wondering what the "C" is. Look at the super view pic on the rack and you will see the "C" after the size

Originally Posted By: FordFocus
My question is what does the "C" stand for in the size 195/70R15 C? Does it stand for Cargo? If so what does that mean. Is the tire constructed differently than a regular tire? The claims to be 8 ply with a max psi of 65 psi so it wouldn't mean that it is a 6 ply right?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=VancoFourSeason

Amateurs! Sheesh!

The "C" stands for "Commercial" ETRTO (European Tyre and Rim Technical Organization) uses the letter "C", where The Tire and Rim Association (TRA) - the US tire standardizing organization - uses the letters "LT". So you could say a "C" type type is equivalent to an "LT" type tire.

Yes, the tire is constructed quite different than standard passenger car tires (or should I say tyres?) of the same size. They are designed to operate at higher loads and higher inflation pressure than standard passenger car tires.

Unfortunately, ETRTO still uses the Ply Rating (PR) system - and, no, an 8 PR says nothing about what the actual construction (the number of plies in particular) - other than the tire is designed to operate under 8 PR conditions.

For example, a 295/70R22.5 Load Range G - a typical Medium Radial truck tire - has an rated inflation pressure of 110 psi. They typically have 5 plies - and only one ply of those is in the sidewall. It is made of a steel cable, but it is a single ply.

And to make things even more complex, only 2 of the 4 remaining plies (technically, they are belts) are actually used for load carrying purposes. The additional 2 plies are used for other purposes - one is a protector for the "working belt", and the other is a transitional ply to help better distribute the stresses. In theory, you could have a Load Range G (14 Ply Rating) with only 3 plies!

Thanks this is the info I was looking for. I had a supplier tell me that the "C" meant load range C and I was sure he was wrong but he said no.

Will we ever get away from the "Ply Rating" system and its colloquial use? The next time a tire salesman is talking about 8 ply or 10 ply tires, ask the bozo to show you the plies. Ask about that pesky fine print on the side wall showing two or three plies of tire cord in the sidewalls of the tire he's bragging about being 10 ply. Watch him backpedal. 50 or 60 years ago the number of plies of cotton cord in the tire carcass made a difference. Times and tires have changed.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Will we ever get away from the "Ply Rating" system and its colloquial use? The next time a tire salesman is talking about 8 ply or 10 ply tires, ask the bozo to show you the plies. Ask about that pesky fine print on the side wall showing two or three plies of tire cord in the sidewalls of the tire he's bragging about being 10 ply. Watch him backpedal. 50 or 60 years ago the number of plies of cotton cord in the tire carcass made a difference. Times and tires have changed.

It's been nearly 40 years since passenger car tires used the term. They changed over to Standard Load and Extra Load when the sizing system changed to the metric system.

But I still get questions like:

"I know the tires on my truck are 10 ply. How many ply are the tires on my Taurus?"

So I have to carefully explain about Load Ranges, etc. Takes about a half an hour to type up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back