Amsoil Greases?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone used Amsoil greases? For synthetic greases, they're not as expensive! Redline CV2-EP is about $8/tube, while Amsoil is significantly less than that.

I use Amsoil Series 2000 Racing grease in my bearings. I think it is awesome stuff. I "donated" some to a local racing team, they think it's awesome! I think it is fairly well unparalleled for wheel bearings.

Remember ALL synthetic greases are synthetic oil in a carrier. The carrier is important - like anything "engineered" there are trade-offs. Most all, except one, of Amsoil's greases are lithium based, great low rolling resistance,and they do pass water resistance tests. If you have an a exposed joint that sees water hitting the joint at velocity you may need an aluminum complex grease.

Some folks will use the water washout as a sales ploy to say you must have Al complex grease for ALL applications - simply not true for wheel bearings, etc with seals.

so what are some of the good Amsoil greases for use in wheel bearings and such? The Racing Grease is kinda pricey.

Are any of these good?
GHB-CR
GHD-CR
GLC-CR NLGI #1, #2
or the GWR-CR?

Metroplex,

For high temp wheel bearings, you want the Amsoil Multipurpose grease, "GLC" in a #2 grade, without moly disulphide. This type of moly is reactive at high temps and can cause corrosive wear. The Heavy Duty grease is for low speed, high load applications where you need the extra load carrying capability of the MoS2.

TooSlick

TooSlick,

I agree with what you say, but here's what Amsoil sez:

"Synthetic GH Series Heavy-Duty EP Grease
NLGI #1 and #2 (Lithium Complex - Moly Fortified)"

"AMSOIL GH Greases...is the primary choice for wheel bearings."
http://www.amsoil.com/products/ghd.html

...'tis confusing.

Is it only the type of MoS2 that Amsoil uses that's a concern?...Schaeffer's MoS2 has no high temp problems, including their #286C grease with MoS2 rated for use at 1200°F. The #221 and other greases rated to 350°F contain MoS2 and are suitable for high speed ball bearings and the full range of usual applications. By the way, at 350°, the grease is still good but the steel in the bearings will soon fail--true.

Ken

quote:

For high temp wheel bearings, you want the Amsoil Multipurpose grease, "GLC" in a #2 grade, without moly disulphide. This type of moly is reactive at high temps and can cause corrosive wear. The Heavy Duty grease is for low speed, high load applications where you need the extra load carrying capability of the MoS2.

TooSlick

I have to disagree here. Redline CV-2 uses moly MoS2 and and have had no high-temp corrosion problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back