Mazda 6 thermostat problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed a new thermostat in my 2006 Mazda 6. The OEM was rated at 188 degrees, the replacement one purchased at O'reilly's was rated at 192 degrees. I installed it in the car, it seems to be working but the engine temperature gets as high as 201-205 when the old thermostat was in the car it would run closer to 190-193. Is it normal for there to be such a difference? Is there any harm running the motor over 200 degrees? The guy at the store said it would run warmer for a while until it breaks in, is this also correct? Thanks for any advice!

Well, from my experience, OEM is the way to go with thermostats but, you should be OK. I have never hears of a stat needing a break-in- it works from the get-go or not. Even though a state has a temp stamped on it, a lot depends on the size of the opening and the throughput from the water pump.

No beak in period they work properly right out of the box or they dont. 205 degrees is no problem,agree OEM is the way to go when buying thermostats.

Originally Posted By: carguy996
I installed a new thermostat in my 2006 Mazda 6. The OEM was rated at 188 degrees, the replacement one purchased at O'reilly's was rated at 192 degrees. I installed it in the car, it seems to be working but the engine temperature gets as high as 201-205 when the old thermostat was in the car it would run closer to 190-193. Is it normal for there to be such a difference? Is there any harm running the motor over 200 degrees? The guy at the store said it would run warmer for a while until it breaks in, is this also correct? Thanks for any advice!

Thermostats really don't go bad anymore. Sticking or dead thermostats are pretty much non-existent. However I'm not an expert on Mazdas, but 201-205 seems to be a pretty normal number for operating temperatures.

That thermostat will probably get you up to temperature faster this winter. When the weather gets hot again next year, I would listen for pinging or watch for sluggishness/lower mileage from the timing being retarded by the knock sensors. I say that knowing nothing about a Mazda 6, but thinking the manufacturer might have a reason for wanting it to run at 193 instead of 205. You'll probably be just fine, but the 10-degree difference between brands is odd.

Disregard the counterman's comment about break-in.

IMHO running hotter than spec'ed may risk further ignition timing retardation due to elevated combustion chamber temperature (higher than spec'ed), or if the computer cannot compensate the difference, you may suffer from slight ping.

Also: over 80% of the aftermarket replacement thermostat are so poorly constructed and unreliable that frankly, for the sake of proper overall performance and reliability, I would insist in factory OE temperature thermostat.

AS for the counterman's remarks, you can promptly disregard it and call it the day.

Q.

ECU is tuned for the stock thermostat.
Engine is running too hot.

Monitor MPG. If it goes down, you're running too rich and need to get a Mazda thermostat in there.

Bought a motor craft thermostat from the dealer. The car is running right a 192 degrees again with no fluctuation. Oem really was the way to go. Thanks everyone for your help!

Originally Posted By: Quest
Also: over 80% of the aftermarket replacement thermostat are so poorly constructed and unreliable that frankly, for the sake of proper overall performance and reliability, I would insist in factory OE temperature thermostat.

Where did you get this 80% number?

Just fact finding.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MarkM66

Just fact finding.

This is just an observation based on 20yrs of servicing automobiles (yes, I was a certified mech).

All my servicing revolved imported (Japanese) vehicles with factory OEM thermostats (Japan made,some are sourced from Nippon Denso Jpn) typically outlasts any aftermarket thermostats commonly available here in Continental NA market.

Why ask? Conflict of interest going on? (you work for Stant or Motorad? or some domestic OEM supplier?)

*ball back into your court*

Q.

BTW: Stant has little to no presence in Asian manufacturing market (e.g. South Korea, Japan, etc.).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MarkM66

Just fact finding.

This is just an observation based on 20yrs of servicing automobiles (yes, I was a certified mech).

All my servicing revolved imported (Japanese) vehicles with factory OEM thermostats (Japan made,some are sourced from Nippon Denso Jpn) typically outlasts any aftermarket thermostats commonly available here in Continental NA market.

Why ask? Conflict of interest going on? (you work for Stant or Motorad? or some domestic OEM supplier?)

*ball back into your court*

Q.

BTW: Stant has little to no presence in Asian manufacturing market (e.g. South Korea, Japan, etc.).

Stant was just the first manufacturer to come to mind. And if I worked for Stant, I would probably have more facts to ad to the conversation.
wink.gif

I'm not trying to go back and forth, or argue. Maybe your 100% right in your opinion on OEM thermostats being manufactured to a higher standard.

I've got a Civic with 220k miles on the original thermostat. But until I know for a fact that the "parts store" thermostats are made in an inferior way, I can't take a stand either way.

cheers3.gif

Thank you Mark.

I'm here to share my knowledge and experience and not to argue with certain things.

One of the particularly annoying things that I've been dealing with all these years is that many avg motoring joes cheepened out on thermostat replacements, resorting to using some cheep aftermarket ones that would either fail in relatively short service life, or with poor/improper thermal regulation, causing all sorts of otherwise irrevalent computer control problems.

Take care.

Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back