What's a good "sticky" grease/protective oil??

Status
Not open for further replies.
What store bought grease has a high degree of "cling"?? I want something that won't readily wash off. These are exposed surfaces. (vs. sealed and accessed with a zerk fitting).

Also what oil gives a high degree of "cling" for manually oiling various exposed surfaces. (dino, synthetic, or other)?

I want to lubricate my rototiller's shifting/speed change mechanism. Some areas need grease and others need oil.

quote:

Originally posted by 68redlines73:
What's the application?

For really clingy oil, I've had great luck with One Lube. (About $3/can at K-Mart.) I use this stuff on my bicycle chain when the weather turns nasty. It stays on better in miles of rain & slush than any of the special "chain lubes" I've tried.

Davefr,

In answer to your question, for the grease you're looking for "over-the-counter", you can get STALUBE MARINE GREASE at any CSK Auto (Checkers, Schucks, Kragens) outlet in your area.

Hope this helps.

[ May 08, 2003, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: 68redlines73 ]

There are some good suggestions here. When looking for "cling" you can look for a WAY OIL, such as Chevron's Vistac. Normally used for the base rails of lathes and other equipment where you want it to stick, not run off, and give quick release but slow action. Of course you may not find it in less than 5 gallon pails. I use it for door hinges because it it hard to get it to drip to the floor.

I agree with the Marine Lube, it is designed to be impervious to the element and stay on the bearings. I have open zerk fitting on my trailer wheel bearings and use the "bearing buddy" system to help the greese stay in, but it comes without them.

maxima chain wax for motorcycles. it is very similar to cosmolene. it sticks to anything, is thick and slightly greasy and doesn't attact dirt too much, and is very stinky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back