Would Upper Cylinder Lube Help Valve Guides...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I was wondering if valve guides are helped by use of upper cylinder lubes in fuel. I recall reading that UCL`s help to lube parts that are in the path of the fuel stream, which in theory would be valve guides as valves more through the fuel stream. If I have an engine that is known to have premature valve guide wear will I get some extra protection by using UCL`s. I`m not pushing any particular brand, just asking about their benefits in general. Thanks for reading, any replies would be helpful.

I'm just unsure that they add any real lubricity in the concentrations that F/I 4 stroke motors can tolerate. Has that been proven?

If it has then absolutely they would help. I've never seen real proof one way or the other, only people's opinions.

That is a good point... apparent lubricity enhancement with fuel economy enhancement is the general basis for pointing to UCLs doing something...

The question becomes, is there a viable mechanism for lubricant or fuel to get to the valve guides?

If there is, Id say a tcw-3 oil additive would be the way to go...

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Well the intakes do not get nearly as hot as the exhaust and the exhaust is going to be [dry].

Actually that is a great point and that just reminds me that the guides that wear out earlier are the exhaust guides, more so than the intake guides. So there likely isn't any benefit or practical way of protecting them with UCL's. hmmmmmmmmm, sucks. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Some engine oil gets pulled down the intake valve guide from the engine vacuum. I doubt there is any significant lubrication of the valve guides from an UCL in the fuel unless you use a heavy dose.

Originally Posted By: Loobed

Some engine oil gets pulled down the intake valve guide from the engine vacuum. I doubt there is any significant lubrication of the valve guides from an UCL in the fuel unless you use a heavy dose.

I agree,just not enough of it would get to the actual guide with the wiper seal in place to do any type of quality lubricating.

What do Upper Cylinder Lubricants lubricate? It seems to me that the explosion and heat would dry up most anything before any lubrication could take place.

Originally Posted By: Mark_S

What do Upper Cylinder Lubricants lubricate? It seems to me that the explosion and heat would dry up most anything before any lubrication could take place.

The cylinder walls are only a little hotter than the engine coolant, and the vaccum/low pressure of the intake stroke will cool the cylinder a little. During the intake stroke the cylinder would get a little lube which should help on the compression stroke.

UCL are used a lot in pure alcohol racing engines. It seems to make a difference in piston/cylinder/ring longevity.

http://www.klotzlube.com/techsheet.asp?ID=51&submit2=View

The flash point of the UCL is higher than 2 cycle oil.

Marvel Mystery Oil has a flash point of 128 degrees F. This is lower than engine temperatures, which means it should flash with the gasoline.

Originally Posted By: Mark_S

Mainly the fuel pump, and fuel injectors, but also the piston crown and ring pack (compression and oil rings). Many who add it do so to offset the ethanol in. gas (ethanol is dry and provides no lubrication). Many use it year round. I like it year round, and prefer MMO for this (although I am not using it atm while testing a different product).

-Spyder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back