Trailer hitch grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a good grease for lubricating my Equal-i-zer weight distributing hitch. The weight distributing bars control trailer sway by using the friction created between the bars and their brackets. The manufacture says its ok to lube these points to quiet things down. I've tried a couple kinds of grease but they wear off and it gets noisey again within 50 miles. When I say noisey, I mean it makes woman and small children run for cover! Think of steel rubbing against steel with hundreds of pounds of force.
Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Markk

A grease with moly added is recommended for this type of an application...heavily loaded and slow moving.

If you get some Schaeffer #221 grease from Mills, it will be very satisfactory for the hitch, hitch ball, trailer wheel bearings, and anything else that needs grease. It'll probably last longer than any other grease you can find.

Ken

A wild guess but how about a motorcycle chain lube with moly in it ,penetrates into the rubbing areas imo would work the best and is in a spray can and it is easy to apply.

A chain lube is or should be extremely thin so it can penetrate into the links. Many don't and are nothing more than a wax cover on the links.

If you'd want a spray lubricant that might work for this type of situation, maybe look at this one. It is very popular for many different applications(not chains)

Silver Streak #200

Or maybe even better yet,
Silver Streak #200S

My general pupose lube is Maxima Chain Wax.

It goes on very thin to penetrate well, and then drys to a non-sticky, slightly waxy finish that is waterproof and long lasting, and does not attract dust.

Thank you all for the tips!

Where would I find Schaeffer #221 grease from Mills?

Thank you,
Markk

quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:
If you'd want a spray lubricant that might work for this type of situation, maybe look at this one. It is very popular for many different applications(not chains)

Silver Streak #200S

My garage door opener (screw drive) has always been very noisey. I've tried many different lubes - including a moly spray - and they last day or two then back to the noise. Would this be the next lube to try on the door opener? Anyone had any luck on these openers with a lube.

quote:

Originally posted by Cressida:
My garage door opener (screw drive) has always been very noisey. I've tried many different lubes - including a moly spray - and they last day or two then back to the noise. Would this be the next lube to try on the door opener? Anyone had any luck on these openers with a lube.

I'd try the silver streak 200.

Tim has both the silverstreak 200 and the 221#2 grease.

His number is listed on the top left side of the car and gas engine thread. 1-800-737-1747

quote:

Originally posted by Cressida:

quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:

Silver Streak #200S

Probably too sticky for the garage door drive. I've only had success with a light grease.

Ken

If a normal grease is too heavy for a screw, the 221#1 or even a #0 can be applied. Myself, I'd try the #2 and just put a light coat on, wiping off the excess.

As an example, I have one bass fisherman that actually took some 221#2, a Q tip, and dabbed a small amount on the gears in his rod. He worked it in a little and then used it. Said it increased his cast considerably.

Now that was one application I'd never thought to use that in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back