What grease do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This board appears to have a pretty good collection of analytical gearheads (and I mean that in a GOOD way!
smile.gif
), so I thought I'd take a poll:

• When doing maintenance on your vehicle (pick your favorite or list them all), what grease (product and grade) do you use on the wheel bearings and chassis points?

Thanks!

Last time I needed grease I had to make two trips to the store. One to go and write down what they had. Then get on the internet and find spec sheets. Then go back to the store and buy grease. Geez, what a hassle.

Anyway, I bought Exxon Lidok EP grease. One with Moly and one without. My choices were limited and I couldn't find spec sheets for the other brands.

I would encourage you to call Tim at 1-800-737-1747 and try a tube of Schaeffer's. I use Schaeffer's #238 on the farm and it has more than doubled my service intervals on PTO u-joints. Great stuff.

The 238 may be too stiff for your application but Schaeffer's has a bunch of varieties.

I think this is where Schaeffer's get its start in the lubrication industry. Making grease for wagon wheels and steam boats.

If I remember right Tim said that Schaeffer's 221 #2 was the absolute best for Truck and Car lube fittings.

Actually, they did get their start in the lube business due to wagon wheels and such. They started as a candle factory which they used animal fats and such for that but then diversed into the first multi use grease made. The grease was made of animal fats and was used in the wagon wheels but not only was it used that way but also used to fry the bacon as well when the 49er's crossed over they used it to cover their face during freezing weather to help protect against the enviourment.

Yes, generally for up north and mid south, the 221#2 is the better choice. The 238 is a great choice if down south. I just used the 238 on my rear hub wheel bearings on my Harley yesterday when I replaced my tire/tube and brakes.

IMO, I'm only 47 and doing mechanics since the age of 17 with jets and general equipment, I've never seen a grease that has the staying power of what this grease does except one and that was by hydrotex? out of texas. Theirs was every bit as good, expect in one way, P R I C E. They get around 7 bucks a tube wholesale.

I used Mobil 1 until I started reseaching the specs.

I now feel Redline is a better choice with Schaeffer being the best.

quote:

Originally posted by VaderSS:
I used Mobil 1 until I started reseaching the specs.

I now feel Redline is a better choice with Schaeffer being the best.

I'll try Schaeffer's..but who sells it in Canada an what would be a good general purpose chassis grease from them?

I just used Schaeffer’s 221 on my boat trailer’s wheel bearings. Will also use it on my Jeep’s zerk fittings. Used M1, but have never liked the way it liquefied and subsequently leaked out. of the grease fittings.

quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:
Actually, they did get their start in the lube business due to wagon wheels and such. They started as a candle factory which they used animal fats and such for that but then diversed into the first multi use grease made. The grease was made of animal fats and was used in the wagon wheels but not only was it used that way but also used to fry the bacon as well when the 49er's crossed over they used it to cover their face during freezing weather to help protect against the enviourment.

Yes, generally for up north and mid south, the 221#2 is the better choice. The 238 is a great choice if down south. I just used the 238 on my rear hub wheel bearings on my Harley yesterday when I replaced my tire/tube and brakes.

IMO, I'm only 47 and doing mechanics since the age of 17 with jets and general equipment, I've never seen a grease that has the staying power of what this grease does except one and that was by hydrotex? out of texas. Theirs was every bit as good, expect in one way, P R I C E. They get around 7 bucks a tube wholesale.

Bob you say 221#2 is good for up north and mid south and 238 is good for down south what do you mean by this? Is 221#2 good for "out west" (Colorado)? That is what I use out here. Thanks!
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:

Yes, generally for up north and mid south, the 221#2 is the better choice. The 238 is a great choice if down south.

Bob, I just changed out my rotors and bearings over Memorial day and used 221-2. Are you saying that I should have used 238?

I live down in Houston and it gets pretty hot.

What is the main difference between the 221-2 and 238, besides that I can find 221-2 in an auto parts store for $1.59 tube?

Kevin, I am also in Houston. Where did you find that Schaeffer's grease and do they sell the Schaeffer's gear lube there?

I am also wondering just how thick and stiff the 238 is compared to the 221. Considering how hot it gets here we might be better off with it.

Either one will most likely do a better job than the Mobil 1 universal grease that I tried that turned into a red liquid mess where I store my grease gun
mad.gif
I assume it did the same in my chassis fittings and u joints.

I'm a dealer for Amsoil products and was thinking about getting Amsoil Multi-Purpose grease for my wheel bearings, but $4/14oz is kinda fishy for a fully synthetic grease.

I'm wondering if its just normal non-synth grease.

[ June 10, 2003, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: metroplex ]

quote:

Originally posted by HoustonTxDuramax:
Kevin, I am also in Houston. Where did you find that Schaeffer's grease and do they sell the Schaeffer's gear lube there?

I am also wondering just how thick and stiff the 238 is compared to the 221. Considering how hot it gets here we might be better off with it.

Either one will most likely do a better job than the Mobil 1 universal grease that I tried that turned into a red liquid mess where I store my grease gun
mad.gif
I assume it did the same in my chassis fittings and u joints.

Yes, either one will work for you down there. I suggest 221 #2 for most as it is a lighter tac and works good in wheel bearings that see colder temps. Down in tex and fl I sell mostly 238 as it is heavier tac. Both are completely water proof and have extreme pressure additives and both use a synth blend oil and both can handle high temps.

To order Might I suggest calling Tim at 800-737-1747 and he'll send what ever you want. He also carries the gear oil as well.

I have been using LubriMatic Lithium grease since my 77 LUV was
new. I doubt that it is anything special, but I tend to stick with what I
have used before feeling one shouldn't mix different brands
unnecessarily. I started using it because most of the places I shopped
stocked it. Out of the 6 or so places back then, most of them are out
of business except the Ace Hardware. I have also seldom strayed
from AC filters, Pennzoil, Prestone green antifreeze, and DOT 4
brake fluid.

Some people I respect like Lubriplate grease. I am impressed that it
lasts longer on the door detent on my truck than graphite. Haven't
seen much about it here.

I use Mobil 1 synthetic... mainly because I get it free at work. We use it for the truck trailer hub units our company manufactures. These hubs are guaranteed to one million miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back