Bob. Trailer Boat Wheel Bearing/Sterndrive Gimble Bearing Grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bob is the grease guy. I use the Schaeffer's 238 #2 with great results on my farm machinery, boat and automotive joints. I'm not sure how the 238 will do in wheel bearing applications though.

with that northern cold temp you get on occassion, I'd suggest just going with the 221#2 over all 238#2 IMO. I'm sure you could get away with the 238 up there but reason sold at truck stop is that it won't affect the truck as it would smaller vehicles when cold. Your choice.

Thanks for the advise.
tongue.gif

Bob. I need good grease for a trailer boat’s wheel bearings, a sterndrive’s gimble bearing and U-Joints. It would be great if I could also use the grease for my Jeep’s tie rods, idler arm, ball joints, etc. Both 221 and 238 look interesting. I can get 238 here at a local truck stop. Would these work?

Our weather is fairly variable here in Central California. Summer highs are normally in excess of 100 F. Winter lows are normally around 35 F. The trailer and boat almost exclusively see service when the temps are warmer, +85 F. Jeep Grand Cherokee is a daily driver, so it gets the broad spectrum.

Just the thread I was about to ask a topic on. Needed to find a high quality grease that would work in my Mercrusier Bravo 1 outdrive various bearings, trailer wheels, and my Gravely Lawnmower. I figure it would be cheaper and better to buy one high quality grease tube than it would be to buy Merc brand grease tubes (two different) and then trailer grease, and other grease for mower.

I picked up a tube of Royal Purple Ultra-Performance Grease (UPG) a high performance, multi-service, aluminum-complex, synthetic grease when I ordered my grease gun. The RP should compare to 274?

Boy, you dragged this one up from the vault !

For marine applications I think you may find a Calcium Sulfonate thickened grease will beat an aluminium thickened grease hands down.

Lubrimatic market one that I'm very partial to.
It uses conventional (highly refined) base oils with a calcium sulfonate thickener and has very good Timken and 4 ball load ratings as well as being extremely good for corrosion control.

NLGI Grade: 2 Thickener Type: Calcium Sulfonate Complex
Color: Green Texture: Smooth

Brief product description: An automotive and industrial grease with excellent shear stability, load carrying ability and water resistance. It is free of heavy metals and resists burning. It is formulated with oxidation inhibitors and has excellent resistance to rust and corrosion. It meets NLGI GC/LB requirements.

ASTM Typical
Test Method Result

Penetration @ 77°F = D-217
Unworked = 276
Worked 60 Strokes = 279
Worked 10,000 Strokes = 287
Worked 100,000 Strokes = 296

Roll Stability (% change) D-1831 = 293(+5.0)

Rust Protection D-1743 = Pass

Dropping Point, °F(°C) D-2265 = 550°F (288°C)

4-Ball EP Performance D-2596
Load Wear Index = 72
Weld Point, Kgf = 500

4-Ball Wear Protection D-2266
Scar Diameter, mm = 0.45

Timken OK Load, lbs. D-2509 = 65

Wheel Bearing Life Test, hrs. D-3527 = 120

Water Washout D-1264
@ 175°F, % = 0.4

Water Spray Off, % D-4049 = 67

Oil Separation, % Loss D-1742 = .17

Base Oil Characteristics
Vis @ 40° cSt D-445 = 219
Vis @ 100° cSt D-445 = 18.7
Vis @100°F SUS D-2161 = 1000
Vis @210°F SUS D-2161 = 85
Viscosity Index D-2270 = 96

Low Temp Torque-Wheel
Bearing D-4693 = 9
-40°C, N • m

This is a good subject to bring back, I was also just deciding on a grease to have for the boat drive gimble and trailer wheel bearings (EZ Bearings). My first choice was the Amsoil Waterproof Grease with Lithium Complex but is that the right choice? Is there a "best to use all-around" high performance water resistant, stay in place grease?

If you had just one grease gun...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back