1973 BMW 75/5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I resently was given this bike. It was mostly torn down. The engine was rebuilt but had been sitting for 18 years since then. Tore it back down again and found a little rust around the valves and spring. Going to clean up and put everything back together.
The tranny was shot. It was frozen solid and wasn't the correct one anyhow. I have a 5 speed non kick start on it and would like to get another one as the 4 speed kick start version seems to be a step back.
Anyhow, lots and lots of work to do on this bike including relacing the spokes and stuff.
anyone out here have any experience with these bikes? This si the first time I've restored a motor bike.

Put a lot of miles on a R75/5, my daily driver, back in the 70s. Very good following on the bike now and parts are available.
Let me know what questions you have and I will try and answer or direct you to a good source. I still have some of the special tools too. Let me know if I can help.

Cool bike, I am still in the process of getting my R75/7 running. Check out www.advrider.com in the Old's Cool section a lot of airhead gurus hang out there.

Got any pics? Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep going back and forth on this one. The bike is in a million pieces. I started restringing the spokes and found 2 missing. Need to do everything to this bike and wonder if it's worth it. It's my first bike and I LOVE classic bikes.
Biggest things are the kickstand is rotten, crossover tube is shot. Trans is shot. and the gas tank and headlight unit may be beyond repair. So I might just get it back together and substitue the parts for whatever I can find.
bigdreama thx for the link!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back