Honda 2.4L Oil Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a quick question for everyone out there approximately how much Oil consumption would you say is normal for the Honda 2.4L 4Cyl in the Accord and small SUV's.

I switched from 5w20 to 5w30 and it has improved some what.

Would you say 2 litres every 5000-7000 km is normal? The car has about 140,000 Miles or 230,000 KM.

I am going to give Mobil 1 Syn a try the next time.

cars already with over 230kkms and burns 1L every 3~4kkms?! Why that's really reasonable!

I won't loose sleep over that if I were you..just go with high-mileage oil and be over with it.

Q.

I have an 05 Accord with the 2.4 that has always consumed 1/2qt per 5k miles on ANY brand oil. I now have 140,000 miles on it and it still burns about the same or more. Runs like new.

First welcome to BITOG.

Yes the consumption is not abnormal, and doesn't justify the use of a heavier oil, particularily in a Canadian winter. It's false economy.
I'd change back to a 20wt oil at the next opportunity.

Mobil 1 is expensive in Canada and their are better syn values to be had. Cdn Tire's F1 syn (Formula Shell) is a good as M1 and much cheaper particularly when it goes on sale which is often.
Petro Canada's 5W-20 is a good deal when bought but the case from a distributor (their the supplier to Honda Canada many grades like the 5W-20 but not the 0W-20).
If you want to up-grade to a 0W-20, the two best deal's around are Honda's own 0W-20 at 5 bucks and change/L or Toyota's excellent 0W-20 at 25 bucks/5L jug.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
First welcome to BITOG.

Yes the consumption is not abnormal, and doesn't justify the use of a heavier oil, particularily in a Canadian winter. It's false economy.
I'd change back to a 20wt oil at the next opportunity.

Mobil 1 is expensive in Canada and their are better syn values to be had. Cdn Tire's F1 syn (Formula Shell) is a good as M1 and much cheaper particularly when it goes on sale which is often.
Petro Canada's 5W-20 is a good deal when bought but the case from a distributor (their the supplier to Honda Canada many grades like the 5W-20 but not the 0W-20).
If you want to up-grade to a 0W-20, the two best deal's around are Honda's own 0W-20 at 5 bucks and change/L or Toyota's excellent 0W-20 at 25 bucks/5L jug.

+1, CATERHAM knows what he is talking about, I have learned a lot from his posts.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
First welcome to BITOG.

Yes the consumption is not abnormal,

While I don't know if I'd say the consumption is "abnormal", I would say it's "atypical" in that particular engine. The K24 is an engine pretty well-known for very low oil consumption, even at that mileage. That's been my personal experience, and that of most people. 2L over 5K is not even remotely close to typical for that engine.

I actually think I'd try to investigate a potential cause of the consumption though (or leaking), versus playing with oil viscosity.

I truly believe if I had broken the engine in hard, it would have consumed no oil. I think that makes a major difference. I don't think engines that consume oil are worse off in any particular way, but a sudden change in oil consumption is definitely a sign of a problem.

Is there a big difference between Canadian Tires Synethetic (Group 3 base) vs Mobil 1's Group 4 base oil?

My '98 2.3L used 1 qt of Mobil 1 in 1000 km recently and it hasn't used less than 1 qt in 3000 km for six years. These cars have soft oil control rings and plus I think the person who had it before me overheated it once. If this happens it could make one of your rings stick forever

Our '05 Element with the 2.4 burns hardly any between 3,000 mile changes. In fact, the dipstick is slightly above full after a fresh change and 3,000 miles later it is right at the full mark. Great engines!

^The K series is an Awesome engine, hence why Honda uses them in almost everything they made that requires a 4 cylinder. (just different variations)

Accord, Element, CR-V, Civic Si, TSX, RSX, MDX Turbo, etc.

I would say that is more than I'm used to hearing on these engines, but not enough that I would do much about it. You could check the PCV, it's screwed into the alternator bracket, but it could just be that much burning past the oil control rings.

I burn about .25L in 7500 miles, but I'm only at 55,000 miles.

Neither of my Elements with the 2.4L engine consume any oil between oil changes. The 05 is mostly highway miles and the 06 sees very little highway use. I have used 5W-20 in both since new.

I did not allow enough cool down time and not enough WOT to fully seat the rings. I have a manual trans and if driven hard or fast the 2.4 will consume 1/2 to 1qt per 3k miles. Runs like new with 140,000 miles so I'm not too concerned.

might try some additives in the gas and oil, maybe its carbon on the rings
but i would trade it in for something thats not wore out
at 200k my old nissan used 1/2 a qt in 3k and smoked
probably would have went 300 but why bother if you know the rings are on their way out

sorry about your luck
frown.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: west1
Is there a big difference between Canadian Tires Synethetic (Group 3 base) vs Mobil 1's Group 4 base oil?

There's an oil that only uses Group 4 in its base?

Mine's (2002 CR-V) almost always used between 1/2 to 1 quart per 5k miles, regardless of viscosity or basestock. 7 years and 117 miles in, I had to change out the o2 sensors and cat converter. So it did catch up to me eventually. Good news is, I discovered that an aftermarket cat will work. I can't say the same for aftermarket o2 sensors.

Originally Posted By: buster
I have an 05 Accord with the 2.4 that has always consumed 1/2qt per 5k miles on ANY brand oil. I now have 140,000 miles on it and it still burns about the same or more. Runs like new.

Update. For the first time ever, the Accord has not used any oil over 2,500 miles. M1 0w20 SN. Driving commute is now 10 miles vs 50. Can't explain it yet....

144,000 miles on the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back