Biodiesel tax credit 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
“Until the reinstatement and retroactivity of the tax credit are in place, the industry will remain at best, in a stalemate and at worst in a state of continued disruption

Pretty much says it all.

Been watching renewables for quite a while.

When fossil fuel prices are up, alternatives start to become viable, then magically the price of fossil fuels plummets, and the capital is ripped out of the renewables.

IMO, they deserve at least the level of "assistance" that fossil fuels get per MJ.

Oz did a stupid thing by giving solar 5 times as many Renewable Energy Certificates as was actually saved by solar, and gutted the biofuels industry in one sweep. Stupidity, and agenda driven, I'll admit tempest.

Quote:
Stupidity, and agenda driven,

Always the case with subsidies. Distorts the market and causes resources to be misdirected.

I talked to a terminal manager about bio diesel. The biggest drawback is that it can't be pipelined due to being corrosive. The other issue is that when used at 5% concentration or higher it gels up in cold weather.

It's not corrosive unless not made properly.

It's a great solvent, so will strip any crud out of the pipes and block filters. Maybe that's why they don't want to pipe it.

Seen first hand what it does to 30 year old oil tanks with 30 years of petro crud in them.

5% gels in cold weather ?
100% made from canola doesn't gel until below freezing.

Tax breaks/credit are a farce and don't work. Handing out free lollipops won't keep me from smoking.

Tax diesel/gasoline heavily enough and I'll look for alternatives.

With the latest price increases with cigarettes(state/fed/county/city/town sales taxes), I just might forgo a pack of cigarettes and pay for my own lollipops.

Subsidies do not work.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
They seem to be working OK for oil.

I have not seen "subsidies" for oil exploration, drilling, and refining (except foreign oil companies, like those in Brazil and Mexico, that are given money by the U.S. Government). There are tax breaks for U.S. oil companies they can take advantage of just like everyone else. Now if you would advocate that NO ONE in the country get any tax breaks, including mortgage interest deduction, health care cost deductions, etc then I can cotton to the idea of not giving any business, including oil, any tax break. Truth be told, the oil industry, when all taxes are factored in, pay more in taxes than any other industry in the U.S. Should they get a tax break here or there? Can't see any reason why not.

Besides, the real truth is that NO business actually pays taxes. The end user is the one who gets the bill. Business just passes on the taxes, along with other costs, to the consumer.

I hate subsidies. Next we're going to hear that the gov't will impose a $1/gal tariff on bio-diesel imports and then mandate B5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back