Grease Substitute For Marine Jet Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great site!! Finally registered after months of reading. I need to know what a good substitute grease would be for my 1998 75 HP Mariner outboard lower jet unit, it has zert fitting right on the jet housing for load carrying bearing lubrication.(Lubed after each fishing trip per/manual) Jet unit factory sent Lubriplate No. 630AA grease w/unit when new, I have run out after three yrs of use, parts stores in this area don't carry Lubriplate, any suggestions?? Motor turns tops of 5500 rpm, needs to be highly water resistant. I have started using Sta-Lube Super white but not sure its good enough of a replacement.

Lubriplate 630AA is a lithium type multipurpose grease NLGI 1 with a base oil visc.of 135 cSt.If it were mine I'd go with Schaeffer's #274 Moly EP NLGI 1,an aluminum complex should hold up much better to water than a lithium soap grease.Tim Mills probably has it.Oh and
welcome.gif

[ March 29, 2003, 01:10 AM: Message edited by: RB Shannon ]

For what reason would the manufacturer include or recommend an NLGI#1 over a #2 other than the possibility it was by chance or a lubriplate rep suggestion.We have a capper at the plant with verticle spindle shafts turning at 1000 rpm+-,and the machine manual recommends NLGI 00,my theory was that warm grease would settle to the lower side of the bearing on a verticle mount when shut down,and a thinner grease would centrifuge onto the race more readily than a thicker grade which would have to warm up before it would redeposit itself onto the raceway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back