Marine Grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by bill dee:
As mentioned below for auto,truck. Are there other brands of grease alternatioves for a boat application. If so, where can I find them, who sells them etc. Is there a reference chart?
The engine manufacturer prices are too high.
Thanks

Can you give a spec or requirement or something to go by?
I'm sure there are various ratings that are suitable for marnine use.

As mentioned below for auto,truck. Are there other brands of grease alternatioves for a boat application. If so, where can I find them, who sells them etc. Is there a reference chart?
The engine manufacturer prices are too high.
Thanks

Thank You for your responses. I probably was not clear. The mercruiser manual has several greases for different applications. They are labeled Special lub, Spline/Coupler lube, Prop lube, steering lub. I would like to buy other brands other than Quicksilver, but need a cross reference chart or something.

quote:

Originally posted by bill dee:
Thank You for your responses. I probably was not clear. The mercruiser manual has several greases for different applications. They are labeled Special lub, Spline/Coupler lube, Prop lube, steering lub. I would like to buy other brands other than Quicksilver, but need a cross reference chart or something.

Bill ,they do that so you will buy Mercury's five different bottles of grease that are all the same. I personally use either Mobil or Pennzoil Marine, but the other choices mentioned will also work great. -Joe

Bill,

You need to be sure that either you remove all the old grease or that the base material of the old grease is compatible with the base material of the new grease. If you don't know the makeup of the old grease, either don't switch, or clean it out completely.
http://www.mindconnection.com/library/handyman/greasecompat.htm

As said, Schaeffer's #221 aluminum complex grease is extremely water resistant and also compatible with the usual lithium complex base grease. 221 is so water resistant that it's hard to wash off hands...the first soapy scrub won't get it all.

Ken

[ February 08, 2003, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

Coastal makes a nice Marine Grease Lube with Antimony Ditiocarbamate as an AW, anti-corrosion addtive. I often see this at Autozone and have used it great results.

Pennzoil also make a marine grease. I haven't used this grease since I just found this at Walmart SuperC's.

Can somebody tell me how to order Schaeffers #2 Marine grease and in what form/quantity it is available. The web site seems to be down. I had a few OTC choices lined up, but don't like the Coastal brand grease. The Pennzoil marine grease does not include the base complex on the lable. The Schaeffers sounds like the best choice to me. I am located in southern Ohio (east) 45750.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back