Ideal Oils for ARX/ Auto-RX Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, this is the first time I will be using Auto-RX, and am looking to create the most ideal conditions for Auto-RX to work to its maximum potential...

Before I ask any questions I'll give the oil guru's all the relevant info that I can think of...

Car: Volkwagon Jetta GLX
Engine: 2.8L 12v VR6
Transmission: 5-speed Manual Transaxle
Miliage: Approx 115,000 miles
Oil Capacity of Engine: 6.5 quarts

Oil Change History: I'm am guessing that it has regular oil changes, since it was owned by a mechanic at the dealership, and it had it's engine "Tuned" with Neuspeed performance products, but I cannot prove what type of oil and how long he went on it.

I have avoided using full synthetic for fear of causing leaks on an engine which I really do not want to touch... (And I'm a diesel mechanic, with tools!?)

I am currently running Mobile 5000 5w-30 conventional oil(I'v been advised to use 5w-20 during the winter here in WI, and 5w-40 during the summer, 5w-30 is for spring) using perculator oil filters. I change the oil every 3,000-3,600 miles.

The engine does not leak oil. It does not burn oil, and I can average 27-29 MPG on the highway, some times better. The engine just needs a good cleaning. I have not used any oil additive products in it since I purchased the car at 100,000 miles.

Since I have but one bottle of Auto-RX ([censored] I love being a college kid, broke!), I am try to maximize the effects of ARX, while documenting it's effects in three areas:

1.) Mileage
2.) Performance in acceleration
3.) Oil Samples, before, during, and after using Auto-RX.

Now here comes the questions:

1.) What type/brand of oil should I use? I was looking at using 5w-30 Valvoline Conventional Oil, or Advanced Auto Parts Generic 5w-30 Dino oil.

2.) Since I am looking to maximize the cleaning effects, and since the engine uses 6.5 quarts of oil should I extend the cleaning phase and change the filter out half-way through?

3.) What types of conventional oils should I avoid, I see alot now that have seal conditioners and built in oil additives, and i am concerned that perhaps that would detrimental effects on the Auto-RX application.

Thanks for your help on this matter in advance! Thanks!

From the Auto-Rx Web Site.

Notes On Choosing An Engine Oil For Use With Auto-Rx®

Auto-Rx® works best with conventional engine oil, Group III (Hydro Cracked oils). This is especially true for vehicles with high mileage, sludge or rotating seal leak problems. Conventional motor oil is occasionally referred to as "Group III" or "mineral" motor oil, and is generally the least expensive motor oil available. Conventional engine oils include Valvoline Conventional, SuperTech (available at Wal-Mart), and Coastal (available at AutoZone). Semi-Hydro Cracked engine oils can be substituted for conventional oils due to their Group III Hydro Cracked Oil base stock content.

For vehicles under 100,000 miles and in good condition a Group III (Hydro Cracked oil) is acceptable for use with Auto-Rx®. Group III (Hydro Cracked oils) include Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Syntec, and Valvoline Synpower.

Use of high-mileage engine oils should be avoided during all Clean and Rinse Phases. However, high-mileage engine oils can be used while following an Auto-Rx® maintenance plan.

If your engine has a supercharger, turbocharger or the manufacturer recommends that you only use synthetic motor oil please choose a Group III motor oil to avoid competing chemistry

Always choose the engine oil weight (viscosity) that your engine’s manufacturer recommends.

Originally Posted By: Frank
Auto-Rx® works best with conventional engine oil, Group III (Hydro Cracked oils). This is especially true for vehicles with high mileage, sludge or rotating seal leak problems. Conventional motor oil is occasionally referred to as "Group III" or "mineral" motor oil, and is generally the least expensive motor oil available. Conventional engine oils include Valvoline Conventional, SuperTech (available at Wal-Mart), and Coastal (available at AutoZone). Semi-Hydro Cracked engine oils can be substituted for conventional oils due to their Group III Hydro Cracked Oil base stock content.

For vehicles under 100,000 miles and in good condition a Group III (Hydro Cracked oil) is acceptable for use with Auto-Rx®. Group III (Hydro Cracked oils) include Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Syntec, and Valvoline Synpower.

That appears utterly contradictory. Can you clarify?

Originally Posted By: glennc
That appears utterly contradictory. Can you clarify?

+1.

Nothing like confusing people even more than they already are.

It would perhaps be easier to say, "non-fully synthesized oils" (PAO, Ester based). Group II, II+, III are acceptable. HM oils should be avoided due to ester content for seal softening/swelling properties.

That means that you can use anything from yellow bottle PZ to the gallon jug of Rotella T Synth with it's XHVI proprietary base stock.

Sensibly... cheaper is better simply due to the duration of service. If someone is compelled to use synthetics due to some spec, then Group III is what you need to use.

That make more sense? The lines between true conventional and what's considered synthetic are getting blurred a bit.

Buhrman86,

Run your 2500 mile cleaning phase with a plain jane 5W30 mineral oil, such as the yellow bottle Pennsoil, or if you are using a quick lube facility, just ask for bulk 5W30. Then run your 2500 miles. I would then rinse with the same, for 3000 miles.

During your documentation process, you will have to consistant with determining your goals. Improved acceleration and mileage are typically inverse. By testing seat of the pants performance continually during the process is not going to help you achieve mileage gains from normal driving. I would suggest doing your acceleration runs at 1000 miles into the cleaning phase and save your mileage observations for the rinse phase under your normal driving habits.

We all love to see oil filter pictures here at BITOG, a pic of the oil filter media from after the cleaning phase and also the rinse phase wilkl be greatly appreciated by all.

I know that you are a college student and should be concentrating on your career, but now you have become a BITOGER and will have to get your priorities straight. We will be expecting a detailed report in the future.

GC should be avoided, right? just mentioning it for the newbs..

Last edited:
That would make sense.. run some of the [censored] oil "supertech", add the mystery substance then see an amazing improved difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back