Redline CV2-EP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this stuff any good?

I installed a tube in my grease gun and used some - but I had to store the gun for awhile. I keep the plunger handle vertical so it wouldn't press against the tube of grease. I found a huge puddle on the bototm of the plastic bag - its from the grease!!!

Why does this occur?

Is Redline too thin?

I used it for my U-Joints and door striker bolts, and I'm planning to use it for wheel bearings, ball joints, etc...

[ December 16, 2002, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: metroplex ]

What you saw is the oil running out of the thickener, a process called, "diffusion."

A grease is simply an oil and a thickener. Turn it the other way and let oil diffuse back through the thickener or take the grease out of the tube and remix.

Hate that. Especially with tube grease. Seal the tip, open the back, and pour the oil on top. Let sit for a few days. Sometimes you have to warm it slightly - indoor room temp should work.

Consider yourself lucky it was bagged. In my case the oil usually absorbs into something making it tough to determine amounts. I end up throwing the tube away for fear I'd be lubing with thickener.

David

I've used it for a variety of things, including CV joints. Dropping point of 950F!

Q: What is the Schaeffer equivalent, good for tough apps like CV joints?

Robert

No idea - but they did have a red cap

And according to Bob's chart, Red is the worst grease there is. Why did Redline choose to use this crap??

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
No idea - but they did have a red cap

And according to Bob's chart, Red is the worst grease there is. Why did Redline choose to use this crap??

So I don't have to spend an hour searching the internet, could you please give me a direct link to the site? I have no idea what you are talking about. BTW, I never could figure out what Bob was talking about when it came to greases.

Redline CV-2 is NLGI grade #2. It is not #5 like Bob's chart suggests based on cap color.

cap color is for schaeffers greases only. Sorry for the mis understanding but cap colors are not a standard in the grease industry. I might ad that this chart is specifically designed for all of schaeffers greases, but can carry over to typical greases. I have since found out though that some companies alum complex, is not as adaptable as what schaeffers is, so this chart can be mis leading for those. GeorgeCLS was stating how he (as well as myself) couldn't understand why schaeffers grease doesn't give problems that other greases similar does. We both know the schaeffers grease does work, but yet, when some competitors try selling a comparable grease, they have problems. One thing I have recently learned is that schaeffers takes 3days to make a batch of grease whereas most only take 1day. What that does, I don't know except that maybe the blending process helps establish a better quality.

Anyway, keep it in mind that this chart is more specific for schaeffers but also should carry over to others as well but is not a guarantee for them due to the different quality levels posed by different grease manufactures.

Metroplex

Several months ago I was making my initial order from Bob and he convinced me that the Schaeffer's grease would out perform the John Deere Lith. Complex I was using. He was absolutely right. I not re-greasing as often just because I see oil or emulsified grease dripping out of the pivot points, rotation joints or see where the PTO u-joints have thrown out there grease.

I'm a believer now. Used to think grease was grease.

Metroplex, I thought Redline used a polyurea thickener soap base. I would call Redline and ask for a reinbursment or something. After seeing how Schaffers blend their greases it seem like they wuold be hard to beat. I have had problems with grease bleeding with Redline CV-2, Amsoil Series 2000. and Mobil 1 when sitting in containers unpressurized for periods of over 1 year. Wish I had more info on grease bleeding. Mikeyoilnutt.

The non-synthetic greases I've used NEVER bleed. Lubrimatic High Temp bearing grease (blue stuff, polyurea base) or the black multi-purpose grease.

Even the Mobil Industrial Grade green stuff never bleeds.

metroplex, We use that Mobil Industrial green grease at work and the guys never back off the plunger on the grease gun and it sits near a tank that has a water temperature of 170F and your right it does not bleed! mikeyoilnutt

srintman, I do not think so. I have never had any failure while using this grease, but it did tend to bleed more than some non-synthetic greases. mikeyoilnutt

I accidentally damaged the bottom of a Mobil 1 industrial grease tube and it leaked green oil all over!!

I guess its not just a CV2-EP thing...

btw when the CV2-EP leaks out, you'd think that the oil coming out when you use the gun would be thin - but its mixed oil that comes out (grease + thickener) and not just the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back