Grease compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a case of Schaeffer's #238 moly grease. After using it to lubricate the suspension of my vehicle I found a article on compatibility of greases. It stated that aluminum complex type greases are borderline at best in compatibility with lithium complex based moly greases which is what I had previously used to lube this vehicle. I don't want to over service the ball joints to flush out the old grease in fear of blowing out the boots. What do I do now?

I'm not sure that's correct. I have many miles on non-Schaeffer aluminum complex ("marine") greases used after lithium complex greases in suspension components and driveshafts, etc.

The Schaeffer chart shows Aluminum Complex and Lithium Complex bases are compatible. In fact, the only base shown as incompatible with Aluminum Complex is Clay. Those incompatible with Lithium Complex are Calcium12 Hydroxy, Calcium Complex, Barium, and Clay.

I've seen other charts/lists that agree, at least for Aluminum Complex and Lithium Complex bases, which were what concerned me at the time.

Does the article explain the problems you might encounter?

David

West,
You will not have any complex issues with the alum taking over the lithium. The procedure to do this is, just grease the joints as you normally would only with the alum complex. As you continue to service it, the alum complex will over take the lithium complex and eventually be completely purged out. I have many customers that do this and have never once had any problems with this complex compatibility problem. As David pointed out, the alum complex is the most compatible complex and will not cause you any problems with the exception of the clay or bentone type greases used mainly in asphault bearings where temps are upwards of 800+degs.

Here is the chart...
Grease Compatibilty Chart

Bob,

What is the source of this chart? Is it from Schaeffers or is it from the NLGI or the SAE? I've seen similiar charts and they also show marginal compatability between aluminum and lithium/lithium complex greases ....I'm very puzzled about the disparity?

thanks,

TS

quote:

Originally posted by westex39:
I just purchased a case of Schaeffer's #238 moly grease. After using it to lubricate the suspension of my vehicle I found a article on compatibility of greases. It stated that aluminum complex type greases are borderline at best in compatibility with lithium complex based moly greases which is what I had previously used to lube this vehicle. I don't want to over service the ball joints to flush out the old grease in fear of blowing out the boots. What do I do now?

westex39, do nothing. It will be just find. I'am talking from many years ,many cars ,many trucks big and small experience. Don't worry !
nono.gif

TooSlick, The incompatibilities are somewhat vendor specific. I've know some brands state their aluminum complex and lithium complex are borderline, but the rest only warn about Lithium and Lithium 12 Hydroxy. Since Schaeffer says theirs are okay I'm assuming they've done some testing.

Suppose it's always wise to watch for bleeding or crust after a change.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back