Marine Grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the manual it state use Mercury graase, there are approximately four (4) different types for different applications, wheelbearings, cable,shafts,outdrive ect. How can I substitute these greaes/lubes with less expensive brands.
Which one to buy?

Thanks

I wouldn't be actually looking for a less expensive brand but a less costly brand... Ok, let me explain, price vers cost, you can by a cheap grease and apply it, but if you're having to daily do this or even hourly, then the amount of grease and time used to grease it, as well as the cost of repairs due to the inferior grease will out price the higher price grease that doesn't need to be greased constantly,reduces the problems and time used to maintain this. So, the cost to use is what you want to look at, not the price.

To answer your question on a quality replacement for the other greases, I'd suggest you get or find a copy of the Tech Data sheets on the greases you want to replace. With this info, we can look at other respective greases and evaluate which will fill the requirements and in most time you can consolidate all of those greases into one maybe two depending on the application. Let me know where we can find the Tech data, and I'll be more than happy to help you with this.
bob

Find a good water resistant grease that will not wash out.

What kind of price are you paying for the Mercury stuff?
This way we can get an idea of what to recommend.
Also when they refer to the specs on the grease do they give you an NLGI rating. Or other specifications?? That would be helpful in dertermining a proper substitute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back