What type of grease to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to change out my rotors on my '93 Explorer and will need to repack the bearings. The problem is that I know nothing about which type of grease to use. I would suspect that it needs to be able to handle high temps. So what kind, should I use? If someone knows a good brand that would be helpful too.

One last grease question. I have always brought my cars to Jiffy lube for lubes. I change my own oil. However, the last time I watched the guy not even get the grease gun on the grease fitting correctly. I had to make him do it again

So, I am going to start doing it myself when I change the oil. What type of grease should I use for ball joints and such? Can I use the same grease that I will use for the wheel bearing?

Sorry for such basic questions, but I am ignorant in the ways of grease!

I use Chevron Black Pearl. Also sell it to Ford for their use throughout the country in their dealerships.

Chassis greases fall under spec LB, and wheel bearing greases fall under spec GC.
http://www.nlgi.com/certification.htm

There are many greases on the market and sold in cartriges that meet both these specs. Generally, you want a lithium complex base grease and thickness grade #2 (I know, I'm oversimplifying).

Many of us use grease with synthetic oil in it, Mobil 1 and Amsoil being a couple of favorites. (Consider grease to be just a thick carrier for oil, which it is.)

Some have good results with moly-fortified grease on ball, roller, & needle bearings, and some have seen failures. I do not use moly grease on these type of bearings (anti-friction bearings).

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back