Mobil 1 Grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by porterdog:

quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:
The quality I'd suspect is excellent as is the schaeffers #229 MOLY ULTRA RED EP which the cost is under 3.00 wholesale.

Is that the Schaeffer product you'd recommend for use in CV joints? That's one of the uses of the Redline product, very high loading present.

Thanks!
Robert

Up where you're at, I'd use the 221#2 for a cv joint. Black, and well suited for cv joints and is the most common type of grease used for cv joints.(pull one apart and see the black moly grease they have used.) Difference is most are lithium based so if the boot gets a leak, it will "wash out" easier where the 221 is a "water proof" grease and dang near impossible to wash out. #221 MOLY ULTRA 800 EP

I have used Mobil 1 exclusively in wheel bearings for ten years or so with excellent results, and it is good for 50,000 mile intervals in Ford pickups and assorted cars. I also use it in aircraft wheel bearings which are very poorly sealed, and have no excess grease capacity beyond the bearing pack. I have tried Aeroshell 5, and Pennz and Valvoline automotive greases, with and without moly. All of those greases show high wear on the ends of the rollers. I don't like moly for this app, as the bearing cups discolor and show surface roughness you can feel with a fingernail after 50 or so hours. In fact, the Timken engineering manual states that lubricants for tapered roller bearings should be "clean and free of particles, including moly". The races clean up quickly on Mobil 1, getting a smooth polish and showing no signs of wear, either on races or roller ends, where the contact is sliding rather than rolling. I would like to try Schaeffers, any recommendations?

Our company manufactures ball bearings for the automotive and truck industry. We charge Mobil 1 grease in all the truck trailer hubs which are guaranteed to run one million miles. Though it's a good grease, we're thinking of switching to a better one - Exxon Infinitec.

Kestas: You have my attention! Could you describe the properties you are looking for in a sealed-bearing grease, and where Mobil 1 falls short and Exxon excels? I have had very good luck with some of the Exxon specialty greases and don't hesitate to try new ones.

It's not me, but my STLE colleague who is comparing the two greases. He got a pail of Infinitec last month for evaluation so I filled a coffee can full for my use. He made a comment that Infinitec is more resistant (or tolerant) to water, and has better high temperature performance. Keep in mind that besides grease performance, cost is always an issue for our manufacturing.

Besides the two properties mentioned above, we also look at shear stability, make sure it has EP additives, and that it doesn't attack the bearing metal at elevated temperatures.

Here's the details from their web site:

Exxon Infinitec

INFINITEC
"Thickener Type" Lithium Complex
"Color" Blue
"NLGI Grade" 2
"cSt @ 40°C" 148
"cSt @ 100°C" 14.1
"Base Oil VI, ASTM D 2270" 91
"60-Stroke Penetration, ASTM D 217, mm/10" 287
"100,000-Stroke Penetration, ASTM D 217, mm/10" 308
"Dropping Point, ASTM D 2265, °C" >300
"Oil Separation, ASTM D 1742, %" 0.9
"High Temperature Oil Separation, FTM321.3, 30 hr @100°C, %" 1.7
"Lubrication Life, ASTM D 3336, @177°C, Hours" 90
"Wheel Bearing Life, ASTM D 3527 @160°C, Hours" 390
"Wheel Bearing Leakage, ASTM D 4290 @160°C, Grams" 0.4
"4-Ball EP Weld Point, ASTM D 2596, kg" 315
"Timken OK Load, ASTM D 2509, lb" 60
"Water Washout, ASTM D 1264 @ 80°C, %" 4
"Water Spray-off, ASTM D 4049, %" 45
"Rust Protection, ASTM D 1743" Pass

Thanks Kestas, If this grease performs as well in the real world as it looks on the data sheet, you may have found the new gold standard.. Keep us informed about how the product fares in your testing.

Wow! Talk about an old friend back from the dead...

I'm about to do the wheel bearing thing again. I had used M1 last time, but am planning on using something better this time.

The Infintec looks good. How do I get it?

Thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by AV8R:
Thanks Kestas, If this grease performs as well in the real world as it looks on the data sheet, you may have found the new gold standard.. Keep us informed about how the product fares in your testing.

There are a couple others, that have similar numbers.
BTW, what's the cost?

I was told Infinitec is cheaper than Mobil 1! Where to get it?... I don't know. I was told to search the internet for a distributor.

I've used Neo's Z-12 grease for years in my road vehicles.
It's not classified as one of their race wheel bearing greases, more a general chassis/wheel bearing grease.

Specs;
N.G.L.I. Grade...............EP #2
Base Stock...................Synthetic lithium complex
Dropping point...............298*C (570*F)
Operating Range............-18*C to 288*C (0*F-550*F)
Timken OK load..............34+kg (75+lbs)
Shell 4 ball EP weld load..350kg (772lbs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back