Which oil in transfer case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I own a Honda Passport, and I'm trying to decide which oil to use in the transfer case. The owner's manual says to use a 5W-30 motor oil. The two oils I was thinking of are Rotella T5 10W-30 and Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30. I'm trying to select a beefy, robust oil in hopes of reducing the wear and tear in the transfer case. What do you think of my oil choices?

I like T5 because it was designed to be used in heavy duty applications, but, I'm concerned with it being a 10w instead of a 5w. Would it really affect the operation of the transfer case when I go to use 4-wheel drive in the winter?
Would the Ultra be robust enough to cut down on wear? Thanks!

For super hot Indiana summers, a 5w40 would be a great choice I'd think. Those T-case gears are churning any time you're rolling. The variances you see are funny on these little T-cases. The one on my Hyundai uses ~1.5qts of gear oil.

Joel

when i had my izusu rodeo (same t-case as passport) i used any dino 5w-30 in the transfer case.

i think keeping it changed is more important than overthinking which oil? mike

Originally Posted By: caravanmike
when i had my izusu rodeo (same t-case as passport) i used any dino 5w-30 in the transfer case.

i think keeping it changed is more important than overthinking which oil? mike

Dang Mike, you're right! I was thinking Honda Pilot, not Passport. I too had a Rodeo. A 2002. I Loved it.

njohnson, what year Passport are we talking? More important than the T-case, make sure you do regular drain/fills on that 4L30E AT. That's a good time if it's w/out a dipstick like it probably is. I've got some pointers on that if you want'em. In regards to the T-case, they are a tough unit & I cant say I ever heard of issues with them when I was involved w/ Rodeos & Troopers.

Joel

JTK,
My Passport is a 1994, and it does have a dipstick. I think they stopped using the dipstick design around 1996 or so? Our dad has a 2001 Trooper, and it is the newer design. I trying to make sure I do regular drains/fills on both the Trooper and Passport. Any pointers you would care to share would be welcomed. Good to hear the transfer cases are tough, I'm trying to make these SUV's last as long as possible with as few problems as possible, that's why I'm trying to select good fluids, hopefully, with the idea that it will prolong the vehicles life.

chubbs1,
I thought about using the Rotella T6 5W-40, in fact, that is what is in the engine right now. Also it is in our other SUV and tractors, great oil! I was concerned that bumping up an oil grade might be too thick for in the transfer case? Summer would probably be fine, but what about during the cooler months?

Originally Posted By: njohnson
JTK,
My Passport is a 1994, and it does have a dipstick. I think they stopped using the dipstick design around 1996 or so? Our dad has a 2001 Trooper, and it is the newer design. I trying to make sure I do regular drains/fills on both the Trooper and Passport. Any pointers you would care to share would be welcomed.

You're right on. The dipsticks stopped around 1996. The main thing is regular drain/fills w/ any good Dex/Merc universal. The GM 4L30E is an odd duck with that extra little pan added on there when they decided to add a 4th gear and electronic controls to the 3L30 (no need to remove this pan for drain/fills), but it's a great, long lasting unit if you maintain it and don't tow anything ridiculous. The Isuzu 3.2L of that vintage are also tough. Non-interference, but the hydraulic lash adjusters can sound tappy.

Joel

Pennzoil Ultra is a great choice.

Many MTL's and MTF's are in the 30wt range. I'd take the GL4 rating over a motor oil. Redline MTL, Amsoil MTF, BG SyncroShift... are easy choices for a gearbox that takes a motor oil.

Any full synthetic 30 weight motor oil would be good. Castrol Syntec 0w30 and Mobil1 HighMileage(either 5w30 or 10w30) are thick for 30wts. I'd even consider a 0w40 which will shear into a thick 30wt in a little time and work fine in the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back