Good grease gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, wrench-twisters... I need a new grease gun. I had one of those little cheap ones and the piston kept working its way through the grease. I'd end up with a bunch of grease on the backside, and it would ooze out when retracting the piston.

Are any of you guys using a cheap Sta-Lube or Lubrimatic unit and getting good service from it? I'm leaning towards full-size this time since a wider selection of grease is readily available...

Find a Lincoln grease gun, they are excellent, yet affordable. I sell them where I work, I just can't advertise becasue I am not a site sponsor. I respect Bob and the forum rules.
worshippy.gif
-Joe

richard612, I LIKE GREASE GUNS MADE BY ALEMITE. THEY HAVE THICK CASES, COME WITH A FLEXIBLE LINE, AND THEY ARE EASY TO BLEED AIR FROM. THE BLADDER INSIDE DOES NOT FOLD OVER WHEN YOU PULL THE TUBE OUT. I HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM WITH CHEAP GUNS. GOOD LUCK ON WHICH EVER BRAND YOU DECIDE TO BUY. MIKEYOILNUTT
biggthumbcoffe.gif

[ September 20, 2002, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

I am not sure of the brand. However, I purchased a great grease gun at the local Massey-Ferguson tractor dealer. It has a rubber whip that is great for reaching hard to get places and has a pistol grip pump handle. It works great in tight spaces.

I've always used hand-pump guns. Bought an air-powered model a few months ago and couldn't be happier. $10 on sale at Harbor Freight. Doesn't hold a candle to SnapOn but for twice-a-month use it's working great.

David

[ September 20, 2002, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:
One Quart, you missed the name of the subject, says GOOD grease gun. Although those are ok for very limited use,

Touche. I don't think HF sells much of anything in the "GOOD" category. Just thought I'd share a cheap thrill. If nothing else it has taught me the air-powered versions are worth buying.

quote:

I agree with Joee about the Lincoln grease gun. It is very competitive and a well known brand. I too sell them but quite frankly don't make a habit of it as it is not a standard everyday item and Schaeffers is a little more pricier than other areas.

Joee, my hats off to you for reconizing the board rules and I appreciate your consideration of the others that have supported the site.
cheers.gif
Hopefully others will do the same.

bob

Bob, I'll try not to contribute anything non-Schaeffers from now on. Pardon if I've stepped on toes. I had no idea you also sold tools.

David

David,

it has nothing to do with schaeffers when listing links. I'm not trying to sell on(although i do get sales from here on occassion) here so much as I'm trying to maintain certain parameters on this board.

My primary thoughts are that by listing the info such as the HF and their deal, it gives the others the information needed to find what they want by Either email from you or search the web, but we don't offer free advertising any further than that.

The idea here is we would like to attract more site supporters but if any company can just drop their link in here, their would be no reason for them to support the site and unfair to those that do.

Frank with auto rx, Mike with amsoil, Frank with gulf filters, Georgecls with exxon/mobil and many schaeffers reps. All of these have contributed directly to assist in the support of this board helping us maintain this free forum. Not to mention we've had a couple of individuals send in a little donation as well. Others help by ordering directly from our site supporters so that will give us all a benifet. So, in the scheme of things,and in the long run, it's to try and maintain some consistancy and to help keep things on here as informative and interesting as possible without a lot of advertising propaganda off other sites. I hope that makes sense.
bob

This is an excellent topic: a simply superb gun that is made in Germany, sold here in the U.S. (not by me) has this great little lock (like a caulking gun) that enalbes one to back off the spring pressure by just a little, instead of having to pull the plunger the whole way back out (not an easy feat!). This enables a person to take the pressure off the grease, reducing "bleed" to a minimum and allowing it to be done easily, every time.. And, the gun is a much higher quality than even a Lincoln..
I am sorry, no name, no source for this gun: I have one and would not part with it for the world!
George

One Quart, you missed the name of the subject, says GOOD grease gun. Although those are ok for very limited use, I agree with Joee about the Lincoln grease gun. It is very competitive and a well known brand. I too sell them but quite frankly don't make a habit of it as it is not a standard everyday item and Schaeffers is a little more pricier than other areas.

Joee, my hats off to you for reconizing the board rules and I appreciate your consideration of the others that have supported the site.
cheers.gif

bob

I have a Snap-On grease gun, it's the hand pump kind. It has always worked great! Was less than $25 if my memory serves me correctly.

Bob, I suppose this is just a different form of self-censorship than I'm used to. The non-advertising rules I've encountered almost without exception allow informational posts so long as there's no affiliation beyond being a customer or information conduit. In my experience, pictures and links are normal web creatures and part of sharing with others who might not otherwise find things as quickly. Granted, abuses occur and moderation happens, but plants are generally easy to spot and stamp out.

No matter. Your house, your rules. Just keep your taskmaster ruler handy. I've been providing email/article responses for almost 20yrs so holding back might be difficult.
wink.gif

David

offtopic.gif

I totally understand David. You may be correct as many are, and I do find myself haveing to adjust to accomidate as this board grows. Since this is the first time for me to have setup and moderate a board of such success, I am trying to keep my finger on the pulse and not so much follow everyone else but find what works for this board.

I have seen many boards just overwhelmed by dealers and such, selling their products by always posting links to advertising hype. Now, had you found the exact page on that specific product and posted it on there, it giving you specs and such, then I'd not touched it most likely. Instead, I find many times, a link directed to the home page, then you have to navigate and search around to find the subject you were on and that wastes many peoples time and such, so when I follow a link, if it takes me somewhere and I cannot find the information that we were discussing in short order, it's a worthless link as I don't want to go looking through there to find what I supposedly thought I was going to get.

I do see however how it is becoming more increasingly difficult to manage this and it may very well come down to a more relaxed situation as you suggest.

Please understand, I don't have problems with people stating anything they want about the product, name, and information which is usually supplied in the discussion but any links should provide specific technical data on that specific topic.

If it is a link that leads directly into advertising any specific product, especially if it is in direct competition with any site supporters, I stamp it out, as I'm wanting people to see this as an infomational board with out all the sales hype.

I know that this is a really grey area, and I'm struggling to work this out and trying to establish some guidlines on this. I hope this clarifies a little more on what I'm thinking.

quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:

cheers.gif

bob

NO problem Bob!! I have to be honest with you, I used to spend alot of time on a popular boating and car board, but I have gotten to where I don't even go to thoses boards anymore. I got tired of the contstant arguing, bashing, profanity, political views and just plain lack of respect for the opinions of other members. Everyone on this board has been very friendly and helpful to me, and I have learned alot since I joined a few months ago. Keep up the good work, Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back