Those using Rotella T6 please post your mpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you please post what you used before T6, and what your fuel mileage has been with both (or more) oils?

I think this may just be the holy grail oil. We know it can handle the extreme heat and low speed loads in HDD engines. I was concerned about how well it'd work in high-speed gasoline engines like high-output Honda I4's, but since it meets the JASO MA spec for motorcycles, this probably won't be an issue at all. All that's left to determine is how much of an impact there will be on fuel consumption for the extra protection. The other two oils that have made it to the final round are PU 5W40 and M1 0W40.

Last edited:
It's fine oil yes, BUT lots of good oils on the market that will work great in MC applications,they just chose no to get cert for that applications.

I should've clarified that I need it to work in high-speed Honda car engines. I was concerned because T6 was mainly designed for diesel's, but the fact that it also performs in motorcycle engines allays those concerns.

Oh ok..yea you should be fine T6 IS a proven quality oil i see no problems running that in your Honda..

what is oil viscosity specs?

I use Shell T6 5W-40 in my 87 Ferrari 328. The car gets 20 mpg in mostly rural driving. Previous to the Shell I used M1 0W-40. Got the same gas mileage, but the M1 sheared badly. I have not checked the Shell for shearing but figure it has got to be better than the Mobil.

I use the same oil in my 03 Sentra Ser Spec V. Factory states that my car gets an estimated 23 city and 29 highway. With T6, I still get roughly the same gas mileage: 22-24 city and 28-31 highway. My two cents is that it really depends on your right foot and not necessary the type of oil.

Last edited:
Mileage-wise I could barely tell a difference using it in my Mazda 3, compared to a 5w20. It hurt my mpg maybe 1-2, if even that, and thats barely outside the standard deviation.

It sure made it nice and quiet though, as well as a little less eager to rev.

MPG is just the on dash monitor average so it's not really very accurate or scientific, but for what it's worth, so far I've ran...

Factory Fill, unknown visc. (28 mpg). I ran it for 3k miles.

I think it was Motorcraft, but the invoice did show it was a 5w20 (mistake on the dealer's part, wrong visc). Though this did give me my best MPG to date. (31 mpg). I ran this for 4,600 miles.

Castrol GTX 5w30 (28 mpg) only ran it 600 miles though so the oil didn't have a lot of time to break-in.

Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 (29 mpg) 2,700 miles

German Castrol 0w30 (26 mpg)

Redline 10w40 (28 mpg)

Rotella T6 5w40 (27 mpg)

Royal Purple 0w40 (28 mpg)

Castrol Edge 5w30 (current fill, only 1k miles so far, 27-28 mpg)

Gas formulations are different for winter and summer in some areas. Winter blends have less 'energy' per gallon. Mileage will usually vary down in the winter if your area uses a winter blend. Just something to keep in mind

I used T6 in both a '96 Jetta 2.0L and in a '96 Saturn SC2 1.9L. In both cases, I got about 35mpg. Both have 5sp manuals.

They're both currently running the new SN PYB 5W-30 and mileage appears to be about the same.

I run it in the summer in my escape and my avalanche, i see no difference in mileage. In my escape i have tried 5w 20, 0w 30 and 5w 40. i see no fuel mileage difference between the oils , so i run ow 30 in winter and 5w 40 in the summer when i tow.

Two or three years ago, when considering whether or not to make Rotella Synthetic 5w40 "my oil," I did an experiment with a 2000 Cadillac Deville. It has a dashboard "average MPG" display and my lab was a 700-mile round trip on flat stretches of I-75 and I-10 here in Florida that I was driving every few weeks back then.

Running with cruise control set at 75 - 77 MPH [don't tell anyone], trips with Pennzoil Platinum [the other contender for becoming "my oil"] and the Rotella averaged within a few tenths of a MPG of each other centered around 25.5 MPG. A Pennzoil Platinum trip would typically be, maybe, 25.7 and a Rotella trip 25.4, for instance. The magnitude of the difference was down in the "noise level" when you consider variables like which way the wind was blowing and seasonal changes in gasoline formulation, but it seemed like there was a two or three tenths of a mile penalty for using the Rotella overall.

I chose to use the Rotella in all my vehicles because it is a good buy in gallon jugs at WalMart day-in-and-day-out and I think the robustness of an HDEO is worth a couple of tenths of MPG in the long run.

Originally Posted By: ronrackley
Two or three years ago, when considering whether or not to make Rotella Synthetic 5w40 "my oil," I did an experiment with a 2000 Cadillac Deville. It has a dashboard "average MPG" display and my lab was a 700-mile round trip on flat stretches of I-75 and I-10 here in Florida that I was driving every few weeks back then.

Running with cruise control set at 75 - 77 MPH [don't tell anyone], trips with Pennzoil Platinum [the other contender for becoming "my oil"] and the Rotella averaged within a few tenths of a MPG of each other centered around 25.5 MPG. A Pennzoil Platinum trip would typically be, maybe, 25.7 and a Rotella trip 25.4, for instance. The magnitude of the difference was down in the "noise level" when you consider variables like which way the wind was blowing and seasonal changes in gasoline formulation, but it seemed like there was a two or three tenths of a mile penalty for using the Rotella overall.

I chose to use the Rotella in all my vehicles because it is a good buy in gallon jugs at WalMart day-in-and-day-out and I think the robustness of an HDEO is worth a couple of tenths of MPG in the long run.

Oh yes, for the record the comparison was between PP 5w30 and RTS 5w40.

That's pretty good not much change. I thought about using it in our jetta but it has alittle leak so I'm going with Maxlife.

I haven't compared my mpg with T6 to anything else, but with a 360 in the Jeep, I don't think it makes a detectable difference. I get 12 - 13 city, 17 - 21 highway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back