Honda Civic EK3 / 6,500 miles / Castrol GTX 20W-50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm from the Caribbean and back home I have a Japanese model Honda Civic EK3 Ferio Vi Multimatic. To read more about my car see here:

EK3 Honda Civic Ferio Vi
EK3 Honda Civic Ferio Vi Multimatic Transmission
JDM VTEC-D15B Engine

It has a JDM VTEC-D15B engine.

Here is the UOA for it after 6,500 miles on Castrol GTX 20W-50

------>ppm
Cr----->4
Pb----->11
Cu----->7
Fe----->23
Sn----->3
Al----->15
Ni----->0
K------>12
Ag----->0
Si------>29
B------>1
Na----->24
Mg----->20
Ca----->2041
P------->908
Zn----->1112
Mo----->159
Ba------>0
Ti------>0
V------->0

cSt Viscosity 100°C ------------->17.87
Oxidation abs/cm--------------->0.22
Nitration abs/cm---------------->0.07
Sulfur abs/cm------------------->0.27
TBN (ASTM D2896) mgKOH/g--->4.84

H2O, Glycol, Soot and Fuel were all 0%

I know the silicon was high. I think it's because some work was done on the engine and the gasket maker gel used may have contributed to this. Also I had on a [censored] air filter that I think let some dust in. I'll change it to a K&N and see what happens next oil change.

Any ideas on how to decrease the Fe, Al and Pb numbers?

I'm thinking about changing to Chevron Supreme 10W-30 eventually and running for 4,000 miles.

Right now I'm doing an Auto-Rx cleaning phase with Castrol GTX 10w-30.
I'll do the rinse cycle and the repeat with Chevron.

Thanks for looking.
Thor.

In Florida, I doubt it!

I'm guessing the high wear metals are from the the excess Si, from a 'lousy air filter' - get that taken care of, and numbers will drop.

I'm suprised over 6500 miles the GTX 20W-50 stayed in grade - usually it drops down to a mid-to-high 40-weight......

SHOCKED.gif
that's some thick oil in that tiny 4 banger.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Why such a thick oil? A 30 weight should be all your need in that engine.

It's what my friends used. Well so much for following friends. Right now I'm using 10W-30 Castrol GTX with the Auto-Rx cleaning phase.

Thor

Yup, like others have mentioned here, way way way too thick for a modern honda. Try a 5w20 or 5w30. You'll get a lot less friction and heat, and more power at higher revs

Quote:
That was some thick oil for that 1.5.

I used 20w50 for years in 4 bangers. Doesn't matter too much in warm weather.

That castrol actually looks pretty good.

Quote:

There's 4 bangers, and then there's honda 4 bangers... I think modern honda's have very small piston cylinder tolerances, at very high revs I wouldn't be comfortable with something too viscous. At the very least, the fuel economy would suffer and you'd get more heat than necessary.

I only use 20w50 as make up oil or an admix to thicken the grade toward a 40 wt, it's very very useful for that. Some of these old cars (all 4 cyls) like running 15w40 (during non-winters):

-a very old'85 volvo b23 engine with >> 200k mi (the old volvo died at 293k from AT tranny failure with engine still fine)

-VW wasser boxer in vanagon (loves it thick)

-my subie doesn't mind it in hotter weather, i seem to think in fact, that a 50/50 blend of 10w30 and 15w40 is optimal during these seasons.

Originally Posted By: thor2010
Originally Posted By: webfors
Why such a thick oil? A 30 weight should be all your need in that engine.

It's what my friends used. Well so much for following friends. Right now I'm using 10W-30 Castrol GTX with the Auto-Rx cleaning phase.

Thor

Good choice!

Originally Posted By: ueberooo
Quote:

There's 4 bangers, and then there's honda 4 bangers... I think modern honda's have very small piston cylinder tolerances, at very high revs I wouldn't be comfortable with something too viscous. At the very least, the fuel economy would suffer and you'd get more heat than necessary.

I didn't catch the year on this car. But, I've owned a few Honda Accords and used 20w50 in them quite often. On the newer models, I wouldn't.

I realize fuel economy should suffer in theory. I was getting 32-33 MPG on my '94 with close to 190k miles, so I'm not so sure it was suffering in practice, nor a problem with high speed (can't comment on high RPM). Coming from someone who put sheet metal screws in the wheel wells to keep them from blowing out, the car didn't seem to mind high speed on 20w50 much.

But this IS Florida and I used 10w40 and 20w50 almost exclusively for around 10 years, before switching over to thinner oils due to newer vehicles.

Originally Posted By: bigmike

I didn't catch the year on this car. But, I've owned a few Honda Accords and used 20w50 in them quite often. On the newer models, I wouldn't.

My car is a 1996 model Civic.

I`d bet you would get better wear numbers after running a 30 weight oil. I find the wear numbers to be on the high side for a Honda Civic, I think the high viscosity might be working against you.

I have not seen those levels of Phos and Zinc since the SL version of this oil. Was this old stock. New stuff has been showing about 800 ppm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back