Primacy MXV4 vs Potenza RE960A/S

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJC

For my commuting 1993 Accord SE Coupe: Michelin Primacy MXV4 or Bridgestone Potenza RE960A/S Pole Position in a 195/60R15 88H?

The Bridgestone's seem to have excellent reviews, so is $80 price difference (2 tires) worthwhile for the MXV4? I have the MXV4 on another car and like them.

I am just past 1500 miles on with new MXV 4's on my 05 Accord and have to say I am deeply impressed - awesome tires! Can't speak for the Bridgestones as I never had them.

I have had 2 sets of the RE960s, good tires and better value than the michelins. The tires are great in the rain and do pretty well in the white stuff. Also as the tire aged they did not degrade or harden up.

I have the RE960's on my 2007 Accord V6. It's a different size from yours but I will definitely buy it again. They are really good in the dry and wet....that was worth a lot to me. I have almost 40k on them now and expect to see 50k+.

The predecessor to the RE960 was the RE930. I had a set of those on a 1995 V6 Camry, and were the first set of tires I'd had in years that I promptly bought a second set when they wore out. The RE960s seem to be in that tradition.

As I understand it, and I may be wrong, the MXV4 is more a high mileage tire. If that's what you value more, it may be the better choice. But considering how well the RE960s wear and perform, they still come up as the better deal...for me.

If you're reading Tire Racks' reviews they are very helpful.

Litterally: your mileage may vary
wink.gif
I doubt you'll be unhappy with either one.

I have the Primacy tires on my '99 Accord, and am pleased with them.
They were good in the snow last winter, have a smooth, quiet ride and have ample grip wet or dry.
I am glad that I put them on the car, although the $70.00 rebate on four tires available when I bought them helped.

I haven't had those particular Potenza's so I can't comment on them. I had the Potenza G009 in 225/60/16H. Wore like iron, still had 5-6/32's when I got rid of them at 40k miles. Got rid of them as they were not suited for the winter conditions I see in Chicago. They were good dry, decent wet, and good in dry powder snow. Horrible in wet snow/slush/ice...ABS fighting me the whole time. After nearly getting stuck in 2 inches of wet snow at a gas station (in my AWD Outback) I decided new tires were in order. I know that you cannot base an impression on a company by one model, but I am not planning to go back to Bridgestone anytime soon.

I do a lot of highway driving, so I got Primacy MXV4 for my car. Haven't had enough snow to test them yet, but they handle wet and dry quite well. Fairly quiet too for the highway driving. Got them from Discount Tire with a $70 rebate. If they last their treadlife rating of 50-60k miles I'll consider them worth the price. My experience with Michelin is that once you leave their OEM models, they are worth the cost.

I have the 960 on my saab, they work really well though I have snow tires for the winter. Very good tire otherwise.

I like the RE960 as well, although mine are W-rated and will probably not last more than about 30K miles. Still better than the 20K I got out of dedicated summer tires that I had before.

Mine are too and Ill likely get 70k out of them based upon wear evidence to date.

The Bridgestone is more performance oriented tire while the Michelin is a more comfortable touring tire with longer tread wear life.

Originally Posted By: eagle23
I have the RE960's on my 2007 Accord V6. It's a different size from yours but I will definitely buy it again. They are really good in the dry and wet....that was worth a lot to me. I have almost 40k on them now and expect to see 50k+.

The predecessor to the RE960 was the RE930. I had a set of those on a 1995 V6 Camry, and were the first set of tires I'd had in years that I promptly bought a second set when they wore out. The RE960s seem to be in that tradition.

As I understand it, and I may be wrong, the MXV4 is more a high mileage tire. If that's what you value more, it may be the better choice. But considering how well the RE960s wear and perform, they still come up as the better deal...for me.

If you're reading Tire Racks' reviews they are very helpful.

Litterally: your mileage may vary
wink.gif
I doubt you'll be unhappy with either one.

Actually, they the RE950s that the RE960AS PP replaced. And I was a little disappointed in them as well - but I upped my tire pressure to 35 instead of 30 and I saw a good increase in MPG this tank. I think Costco stuck to Lexus specs even though I'm running Plus 1 fitment and they originally said 35 is where I should be at.

Had a set of the MXV4 tires on my wife;s Saturn. Can;t recommend the, as they only gave 40,000 miles (barely) and the tread compound hardened horribly to the point where they would spin like made on a wet road when starting out.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
Had a set of the MXV4 tires on my wife;s Saturn. Can;t recommend the, as they only gave 40,000 miles (barely) and the tread compound hardened horribly to the point where they would spin like made on a wet road when starting out.

Boomer, how many years did it take to accumulate the 40K miles?

Also, were they the Primacy MXV4 or one of the other designations? The Primacy is only a few years old and was a redesigned compound for the tire.

I wish I could offer a comparison opinion, but I have been buying Bridgestones almost exclusively for the last 10 yrs. I presenty have the 960s on a BMW 530i and Volvo S70 (195-60-15). I am a big fan of these--quiet, comfortable and good handling. I will purchase again.

I absolutely love my RE960's on my 04 WRX except winter conditions. Incredible performance especially wet.

I know nothing about MXV4's except they are in a separate class of tire and not really a performance one.

No matter what standard you use, RE960AS is not [censored].

Graphs that has no unit of measurement and throw in things that aren't necessarily useful like dry and wet autocross means the numbers are bogus as well.

Anyone that can't tolerate [censored] should probably also not tolerate all season tires and have dedicated summer/winter tires/wheels as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back