Amsoil at Advance Discount Auto Parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw a sign in the window of a local [Sarasota, Florida] Advance Auto Parts store saying they sell Amsoil. There goes one of my reasons for not using it. Is this a new thing?

A local farm store has had Amsoil on the shelf for a few years. I'm not sure that they've ever sold much-the dusty bottles look the same each time I pass by.

I don't suppose it helps that it sits next to oil that is 1/3 the price per quart (and isn't dust covered).

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
A local farm store has had Amsoil on the shelf for a few years. I'm not sure that they've ever sold much-the dusty bottles look the same each time I pass by.

I don't suppose it helps that it sits next to oil that is 1/3 the price per quart (and isn't dust covered).

Price was my other reason for not using Amsoil. About a quarter century ago, when I first got interested in using synthetic oil, the choices were basically buying Mobil 1 at a very high price from the retailers who carried it and finding a person who could get you Amsoil for a very, very high price. I always thought Amsoil was a good product, but I didn't like the part about having to know someone to buy it. Mobil 1 at very high prices in stores is the plan I went with for many years before I became a Rotella convert.

I'm going to stop in that store and see what they have. I think I could be convinced to use a very, very expensive oil if it is very, very good and will last a very, very long time. Rotella T synthetic will be hard to beat in my mind, though.

I saw it at two locations at Whidbey Island in WA. One place was a tire/auto repair center. Another was an auto parts store near Les Schwab tire center, I can't remember the name of the store. The bottles were dust covered, and the parts guy said they sold very little of it. It was also very expensive.

Glad these aren't my retail accounts - in one way*. Stores should take just a little pride and dust their products!!

Amsoil is available in some stores with chain sizes under 12 stores (under same franchise owner/owner).

All the cat calls for Amsoil to drop MLM are just that. Calls in the dark. Few people can walk into a store and know the value of logical extended OCI's. And those who do are smart enough to not have to pay retail price+ (above MSRP!) at the store for the extended drain products.

*NOW what these stores should really be selling are; the OE product line which will be lower price than the synthetics next to them, and the XL line which will be about the same price as the competition sitting next to it.

Originally Posted By: ronrackley
I just saw a sign in the window of a local [Sarasota, Florida] Advance Auto Parts store saying they sell Amsoil. There goes one of my reasons for not using it. Is this a new thing?

All of the Advanced Auto Parts stores in my area( Seacoast NH )stock a limited supply of Amsoil products. They are the only retail stores here that I have seen it in.

I've seen that too in Raymond NH; a small floor shelf with limited # of products (when I was looking for GL4 MT gear oil) - but I still try to go to the Sanel Auto parts next door - a real parts store with Wix filters and Rotella T triple protect 10w-30 HDEO always in stock.

My local napa carries a few different amsoil products. However nothing in a 5W-20 or 0W-20 (just 0W-30) so I would still order it from one of the vendors on the website.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

*NOW what these stores should really be selling are; the OE product line which will be lower price than the synthetics next to them, and the XL line which will be about the same price as the competition sitting next to it.

Agreed. The OE and XL line are much better priced to match the competition and should sell pretty good.

All other $9+ Amsoil products should be left for the people who actually appreciate them and know how to get the most out of the oils.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
My local napa carries a few different amsoil products.

Same here but like mentioned above it's full of dust and they never move anything,to high of prices no one buys it,for what two qts of Amsoil would cost them they could buy a whole case of NAPA house brand.

Up here, Amsoil is the most expensive oil on the shelf at stores that carry it - $14-16/quart!

Yeah, it moves a lot, LOL!

I stopped in since the local store had a Amsoil banner out front. Right now all they have in stock is the OE formula for $5.40 a quart. They can order anything in the catalog. The guy said there is no shipping charges on orders. He did not know if he can give PC discounts, but was going to check into it. Might be cheaper getting it through them than ordering online, especially if they can give the Preferred Customer discount.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I've seen that too in Raymond NH; a small floor shelf with limited # of products (when I was looking for GL4 MT gear oil) - but I still try to go to the Sanel Auto parts next door - a real parts store with Wix filters and Rotella T triple protect 10w-30 HDEO always in stock.

The Rye store has it as well and I have seen it either in Manchester or Concord( can't remember which it was ). Don't recall seeing it in Seabrook?

My local NAPA has most Amsoil products, including filters at decent prices. I got 5qts Amsoil ASL there for $9.25 a quart and plan to run it for a year unless I go over 15K miles, which I doubt. Ace Hardware stores carry it here, too.

not that anyone cares and its off topic, but i have seen lucas products in walmart, the owners son lives one co south of me, and i worked part time in a dixie flopper dealership, both products have indiana ties and i met the owners son, asked him about walmart having it, he swore they were bootlegging it somehow

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back