nail in tire....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw it yesterday, have no idea for how long it's been there but I know it's there now...UGH
The nail is right on the edge of the outer thread block about half an inch from the sidewall!
I know I will need to get a new tire, but a replacement is at least $135 plus tax plus install!
Just ranting I suppose.......I'll throw the spare on there today.

A few weeks ago my wife hit a small angle iron that was sitting in the road that fell off the truck in front of her- it broke the belt (big sidewall bubble) on the front tire and sliced through the rear tire. On top of that 7 seven cars behind her hit it. Have to get a new set as the 2 remaining have different tread depth. Luckily she was ok and a friend happened to be about 20 minutes away and was able to get the spare on and the front tire held air until she got home where i then put on the snow tires.

I feel your pain. I am looking at $500 for a new set

Well, I might have dodged a bullet. I just went to the parking garage and removed the wheel and put my spare on. Afterward I pulled the nail out of the tire. Turns out the nail was a small diameter tack nail about 1/8 of an inch longer than the thread depth. The nail went in pretty straight. The tire is holding air. Just to be safe I will leave the spare on and just keep and eye on the tire pressure to see if infact the hole did not puncture through the tire.
Any ideas I might have missed? I use plugs my whole life but this nail is too close to the sidewall and it's also way too small. Doubt getting a patch would be smart as well if the hole is not thru into the inside? Then again will it make any difference at all the tire holds up for the rest of it's useful life?

In the meantime, you may want to overpressure the tire (~44 psi) and throw some soap water over the hole. This will uncover any slow leak. Otherwise, I think the tire will be okay.

Proper use is a combination plug and patch from the inside, as long as its not the sidewall your good to go.

Any roadhazard warranty on your tire?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TBJ
Proper use is a combination plug and patch from the inside, as long as its not the sidewall your good to go.

Yes and no...bought the tires when I was still living in Louisiana with Tire Kingdom. A quick google search shows no locations out here in the bay area. As far as keeping an eye on the tire. I normally keep the PSI around 35. I believe but do not quote me that the PSI stated on my truck is like 26 or so? I'll add a few more PSI as you said and then continue with the soap and water testing.

Originally Posted By: brelandt
Originally Posted By: TBJ

Yes and no...bought the tires when I was still living in Louisiana with Tire Kingdom. A quick google search shows no locations out here in the bay area. As far as keeping an eye on the tire. I normally keep the PSI around 35. I believe but do not quote me that the PSI stated on my truck is like 26 or so? I'll add a few more PSI as you said and then continue with the soap and water testing.

Take it to...

America's Tire
6450 Dublin Blvd.
Dublin, CA 94568
(925) 479-9780

They do free puncture repairs. As long as they can get the plug through a tread belt, they can repair it. They saved a two-day-old Michelin for me. It saved me a small fortune.

Th best way to have this repaired is at a shop where they will use a two piece repair. By that, I mean a separate stem and patch. They need to use a carbide cutter to get the hole big enough, then clean and buff the inner wall. After that they SHOULD use a separate stem, pulling it through, then lay down a separate patch. From where it sounds like it is that the nail is on your tire, this would be best.

well after a couple of days my tire seems fine, so I put it back on my truck and took it for a long trip and everything is ok, thus far.

So did you get the tire repaired somewhere? Based on your description, that hole would be outside of the area that DT/AT would do a plug/patch repair? Have taken similar was told outside the repair area, replaced tire.

Or did you just use a DIY rope plug? Before finding DT, I've used many successfully.

repairArea.gif

my nail was even closer to the edge than the picture there.
no I didn't have it repaired. The nail apparently didn't go through the tire? As I noted before the nail is about 1/8 longer than the thread it was buried in. Guess the carcass is thick?

Got ya. Similar thing on a new set of Yoko H/T-S. Turned out to be a very very short sheet metal screw. No bubbles when tested, so good to go. Would have been the non repairable area.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Got ya. Similar thing on a new set of Yoko H/T-S. Turned out to be a very very short sheet metal screw. No bubbles when tested, so good to go. Would have been the non repairable area.

The only other concern would be if the screw reached the steel belts. That might result in rusted belts - and that will eventually result in a separation.

So watch this tire carfully for any bulges.

Also be aware of vibrations. A vibration that gradually gets worse over the course of several hundred miles is one of the signs that a separation is taking place. Unfortunately, 50 to 70 mph is the most sensitive speed for picking up wheel end related vibrartions - which is also high enough to cause problems if the tire delaminates at that speed. Below 50 mph, you may not feel anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back