Frequency of Fuel System Additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently, I started a thread about adding a bottle of Regane 2x High Mileage Fuel System Cleaner to my friend's 2010 Mazda 3 Touring with 12.5k. A few people in the thread claimed it was too early, and I should wait longer. Many fuel additive companies recommend adding their product every 3,000 miles, but it is quite possible for them to have some ulterior motives.
56.gif

For me, I have been adding a fuel system cleaner every 15k or annually, whichever comes first. How often do you folks add a fuel system cleaner?

Thanks.

Every 3-4k.

Did a 8X Seafoam treatment on my Saturn and the thing still runs much smoother & peppier than before it and that was 2k miles ago!!
thumbsup2.gif

I just use a Top-Tier gasoline. (Shell currently since their credit card takes 5% off my bill)

No problems...one of my cars is 23 years old and another has 165K miles.

Too early? Likely. It would be one thing to put a bit in or run a maintenance dose, I dont see the need to shock the system at that age. Remember that lots of vehicles run for very high miles without ever seeing any of these adds. Is the mazda engine deposit-prone?

Im all for running adds but more for UCL function and always with the understanding that less is more.

I fill up with Shell, Exxon/Mobil, ConocoPhillips, and BP(if I have no other choice).

Bottle of Chevron Techron Concentrate or Gumout with Regane every 6 months or so.

Never had an injector issue on 4 cars over 15 years and 180,000 miles of driving.

I would think it depends on your frequency of using a non Top Tier gasoline. I think the usage would go up if the President raises/doubles the gas tax. If that happens it's gonna hurt me bad. I'll begin to use it maybe once per month and possibility double to dosage.

Mail Clerk

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
i use redline si-1 2 oz.every trip to gas station..

+1.....RedLine Sl-1 is a great maintainance product

Hmmm...I normally use Regane or Techron every 5-6 months in the Tbird and the Elantra, both over 150k miles...perhaps I should use more often ???

I still haven't put anything in the Bimmer, as I only get Shell gas, but perhaps it doesn't hurt to try some Redline or Techron in it...(the car has 17k miles)

Originally Posted By: cchase
I would suspect frequency would depend on the quality of fuel used.

cchase,

I would agree with your statement if one uses gasoline fron a no name brand that no one recognises. If I used grocery store brand like Vons, Costco, Walmart, Safeway or Albertson then for sure I'd use a couple bottles/large of Techron every other month.

Durango

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Recently, I started a thread about adding a bottle of Regane 2x High Mileage Fuel System Cleaner to my friend's 2010 Mazda 3 Touring with 12.5k. A few people in the thread claimed it was too early, and I should wait longer. Many fuel additive companies recommend adding their product every 3,000 miles, but it is quite possible for them to have some ulterior motives.
56.gif

For me, I have been adding a fuel system cleaner every 15k or annually, whichever comes first. How often do you folks add a fuel system cleaner?

Thanks.

Critic - I've been using FP+ since new on a nine year old avalon. Ounce or two every fillup. Works well, no fuel issues for 135k and all original sensors. Must be something to it.
FP+ is from the company whose banner appears at the top of this forum. Sponsors with a good product and very economical.

Every fill up for sure FP 60 Plus. Every oil change ill add a bottle of Regain or Techron concentrate. Over kill, yes but that's what makes it.fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back