Synerlec in Royal Purple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have a educated idea what the additive "Synerlec" actaully is? When I e-mailed RP about the wear protection offered by Royal Purple (when compared to other name-brands), RP responded, "...They still cannot match the wear protection offered by our Synerlec additive technology..."

So what is Synerlec (beyond the obvious it's a wear additive)? Is it a form of ZDDP? Royal Purple won't say citing its "proprietary information". I'm not sure what the additive is since it's offered in all RP's lubricants - even thier gun oil. As such, anyone know how much "better" Synerlec might be for my 2001 Accord than any other wear additive?

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I 'think' I've read that it's an 'ester-moly' mix that RP uses for friction reduction.

I think that is right too but not 100%. RP is pretty straight forward with their info but they guard that big time.

Whatever it is,it really works. My 3200 mile uoa had absolutely *no* wear metals whatsoever.

but as to an oil of that expense to show no wear at 3200 miles, whost to say empire state couldnt have done that as well? im not trying to be a SMART A, just saying

Originally Posted By: kcfx4
but as to an oil of that expense to show no wear at 3200 miles, whost to say empire state couldnt have done that as well? im not trying to be a SMART A, just saying

I drive my car VERY hard,two short trips a day (less than 5 miles),lots of extended highway runs at 80-90 mph (you go any slower on the interstate here and you`ll get run over),and lots of wot acceleration. I see other "synthetics" belching out 20-40ppm of iron and double digit copper and lead going half as many miles. Search through the uoa section here.

ok ill go there w ya!! but last yr, i bought 5 qrts of rp and a pure1 filter for my boat, dont get me wrong......i loved the oil, but not the near $50 i paid for it/no sales no rebate etc, so last october i bought a case of napa full syn for like 32 bucks, my point is, id hate to think i spent that much on a 3200 oci

Originally Posted By: kcfx4
ok ill go there w ya!! but last yr, i bought 5 qrts of rp and a pure1 filter for my boat, dont get me wrong......i loved the oil, but not the near $50 i paid for it/no sales no rebate etc, so last october i bought a case of napa full syn for like 32 bucks, my point is, id hate to think i spent that much on a 3200 oci

Yeah,I totally hear ya on the price tag! Pennzoil and/or Valvoline dino will probably be my mainstay. I`ve thought about the 15W50 Napa synth. I just wonder if synthetic oil is anything more than just good detergency?

Last edited:
i do love sae30 valvoline in my small engines, never used valvoline in my vehicles tho. but i put some edge in my wifes car and i cant even hear it run at a stop, and her mpgs keep going up/slightly, and i bought it and bosch d+ filter for $30, i was more impressed w the edge in her car vs rp in my boat, and i realize its not comparing apples to apples

According to either Bruce or Molakule (can't remember which), Synerlec is a sulfurized ester.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back