Fuel additive stacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here stack, or ever stack, adds - like say Regane & MMO in the same tank of gas?

-Spyder

Last edited:
I've done it with Red Line FI cleaner and MMO a few times. I see no problems if you are running a cleaner like the RL product in a maint dose, and want a little more UCL for what ever reason you might have. RL contains some UCL of its own but not as much as an MMO dosing would have. RL Cleaner can be used all the time as a maint dose to keep things clean.

Sometimes depending upon the add and my purpose. Generally I do it to add something that has a cleaning content with something that has a stabilization characteristic, like either tcw3 or stabil.

I do it all the time. Regane or Techron with MMO. 2 Cycle with MMO. Lucas (though I never plan to purchase again) with MMO or 2 cycle.

I've tracked a trend of better MPG with 2 cycle and MMO together in my truck.

I don't do it. I use MMO in every tank but when I run a dose of Regane or Red Line I do not add MMO to that tank, I run it down as far as I can then fill up and go back to my regular MMO dose.

Mike-how much of an MPG gain do you get with 2 cycle oil and MMO together? The price of gas just keeps going up more every day here. I am willing to try anything I can to increase the MPG I get from my Dakota. What brand of 2 cycle oil do you use and how much do you add per gallion of gas? What is your dose of MMO to your fuel? Do you mix MMO and 2 cycle oil together and then add that as a single dose to the fuel or do you add them separately? I'd appreciate it if you could post up some details and info on your MPG increase.

I try to have just one additive in the gas tank at a time.

However, I don't run the tank down to close to empty before adding a different product. Just wait till the second fill up before the next product.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
Mike-how much of an MPG gain do you get with 2 cycle oil and MMO together? The price of gas just keeps going up more every day here. I am willing to try anything I can to increase the MPG I get from my Dakota. What brand of 2 cycle oil do you use and how much do you add per gallion of gas? What is your dose of MMO to your fuel? Do you mix MMO and 2 cycle oil together and then add that as a single dose to the fuel or do you add them separately? I'd appreciate it if you could post up some details and info on your MPG increase.

I use Supertech tcw3 mixed together with MMO most of the time. I always mix them before adding and add them at one time. The MPG increase is slight (always will be in a full size truck!).

I've played around with dosages quite bit. Originally, I used around 50:50 mixture of the 2, but lately I've been using a dosage of 6 ounces of MMO with 3 ounces of tcw3 resulting in roughly .4-.6 MPG better than without any additives. I've tried overdosing, but I never see any improvement in doing so.

I've used a fuel cleaner infrequently (techron and regane). I don't see much improvement doing so, but that could be a testament to Chevron gas (only gas I've purchased in several years) or the additives of MMO / tcw3 (or both).

It's an ongoing experiment!

Thanks for the info. I used the search here and will do some more research before I start using TCW3. I already get about 1.5 more MPG when using 4 oz. MMO to each 10 gallons of gas.

Originally Posted By: bigmike
Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190

I use Supertech tcw3 mixed together with MMO most of the time. I always mix them before adding and add them at one time. The MPG increase is slight (always will be in a full size truck!).

I've played around with dosages quite bit. Originally, I used around 50:50 mixture of the 2, but lately I've been using a dosage of 6 ounces of MMO with 3 ounces of tcw3 resulting in roughly .4-.6 MPG better than without any additives. I've tried overdosing, but I never see any improvement in doing so.

I've used a fuel cleaner infrequently (techron and regane). I don't see much improvement doing so, but that could be a testament to Chevron gas (only gas I've purchased in several years) or the additives of MMO / tcw3 (or both).

It's an ongoing experiment!

I haven`t tried them together, but your post has me tempted to try this on my next OCI as I have both on hand, and have used each separately in the past.

Separately I had best results maintaining 5 ounces MMO in my 13 gallon tank, and using a 500:1 ratio of TC-W3. I`m wondering if I should adjust the ratios at all if trying them together.

My goal in doing so would be for the edge tc-w3 has over MMO in lubrication, combined with the edge MMO has in cleaning.

Contemplating MMO at 4 ounces per 13 gallons + TC-W3 at a 750:1 ratio as a starting point, and then experimenting from there.

-Spyder

I've mentioned this a few times, I found that TCW3 in the gas has actually helped reduce oil consumption in my Aerostar vs MMO in the gas. I'm still testing but at this point I'm pretty confident in making that claim. MMO excels in cleaning, but I think the TCW3 makes for a better ring seal in an older engine. I've also mixed MMO with TCW3 several times not, and the oil consumption has improved with the mix as well. JMO

Do you recall the ratios you used when using them together versus separately - I'm trying to decide a good starting ratio for dosing with both in the same tank.

-Spyder

I did 50/50, and used the TCW3 ratio of 500:1 and then tried 320:1 which is the suggested MMO dosing rate. At 320:1 oil consumption reduction has been holding steady with the MMO TCW3 combo. I like to go slightly higher on the winter dosing, so the MMO mix ratio with the TCW3 added in I'm happy with. I like the idea that the cylinder walls probably have a pretty good coat of the top oil for the next cold/dry start whenever that might be.

Critics please don't read to deep into this, its just ideas that float inside my head. I'm of the school of thought that a little extra coat of oil during very cold weather is good, and you want the oil pumping and moving ASAP when you turn the key. The top oil and a 0W-xx IMO is the best of both worlds when it is very cold, or in my case when a vehicle sits a week or more before being used. JMO

My all-time fave was when Gary Allan put 2 quarts of ATF and 1 quart of MMO into the tank of his Caravan.....that was a riot!

Originally Posted By: addyguy
My all-time fave was when Gary Allan put 2 quarts of ATF and 1 quart of MMO into the tank of his Caravan.....that was a riot!

It there a topic on this?
I'd love to see the outcome

[/threadjack]

I use the proper amount of MMO and StaBil at the same time for my carburated engines...lawn/snow equipment and 1980 V8 4bbl. Meaning, 4oz of MMO and 4oz Stabi(8oz) per 10 gal gas.

In my Firebird FORMULA V8-4bbl, I use a total of 16oz per the 20 gal tank of gas(8oz MMO/8oz StaBil). Engine runs smoother than ever before. Starts great, ildes smooth, excellerates well.

In my small equipment, I only have a small 2.5 gallon plastic gas can. Therefore, I use 1oz MMO and 1oz StaBil at the same time as the directions both say to use 1 oz per each 2.5 gallons of gas/4 oz per 10 gallons of gas. B&S, Tecumseh, and Honda small engines all run smooth and consistant all of the time. I can't beleive what a difference it has made. I don't know what got me doing this!

I have run, but no longer do...MMO w/Regane or Techron(or, one or the other by themselves) in my '04 Altima 2.5s without issue but, my wifes '01 Lexus RX-300 3.0L doesn't like it. It's the MMO that triggers CEL "all the time" with the Orig Equip AF/02 sensors as well as the replaced sensors. Her Lexus just doesn't like MMO in the gas tank. Fuel system cleaners are OK but "NOT" MMO, even by itself. So, I leave it alone until I think it's running a bit sluggish and then use some Regane or Techron by themselves...No CEL!

I've wondered about this because right now I have CD2 Lead substitute, Stabil and a bottle of Regane High Mileage Complete in mine.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back