What Oil do I use for my 2009 Kawasaki Ninja...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband has a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja and is deployed in Afghanistan. I know very little about motorcycles and have been starting it every 3-5 days and letting it run for 20 or 30 minutes... recently the oil light came on and I have not heard back from him about what oil to use or even where to put it in at. I am somewhat knowledgeable about cars, but this bike is very knew and unfamiliar to me. Since I did not plan on riding it at all while he's away, I didn't think to ask him this before he left months ago. He'd only had it about 5 or 6 months and I'd never seen him do much to it as far as maintenance.

Please Help.

I really wouldn't do anything as long as you can see oil in the sight glass. If you need to top it off, fine. If you are looking for an oil, Shell Rotella 15w-40 is a good bike oil. No need for anything else in your climate.

Best thing would be to top the gas tank with some fresh gas and a shot of Stabil and/or at least an ounce or two of 2-cycle oil.

Buy him an Accu-Gage digital air gauge, available at sears for about ten dollars. Be sure to have him check the air in the tires before he rides it at any significant speed, or for any distance. Tires can, and often do loose air over time. And a motorcycle only has two to start with. Not the kind of vehicle you want to have your control compromised on because of a low tire.

Hi,

I have a 2004 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R. Right now I have Mobel Delvac 1300 15W-40 in it. Sometimes I run Rotella or Delo in the same viscosity. Ran it from day one and has over 20,000 miles (not much btw) worry free. I also ride it on the track extensively. Same 3000 mile or 1 year oil change interval.

I also live in California. I'm in Orange County. An HDEO should serve you well.

i would do all of the above, and stop starting it and letting it run, put a battery tender, or similar maintainer on it until he gets home letting it sit a year wont be that bad, but starting it and letting it idle is not doing much except keeping the battery charged.. also if you have a swing arm stand and fork stand those will keep the tires from getting flat spots, but if i were you i would ask for some help

and tell him happy holidays i know this is the worst time of the year to be over there

Originally Posted By: rosshimself13
i would do all of the above, and stop starting it and letting it run, put a battery tender, or similar maintainer on it until he gets home letting it sit a year wont be that bad, but starting it and letting it idle is not doing much except keeping the battery charged.. also if you have a swing arm stand and fork stand those will keep the tires from getting flat spots, but if i were you i would ask for some help

and tell him happy holidays i know this is the worst time of the year to be over there

Completely agree, and want to add: drop some (stabil) fuel stabilizer in it, and letting the bike run 20-30 minutes is overkill, if your going to start the bike and let it run, let it get up to "running temp" or if you dont know.. just listen for the cooling fan to kick on around 217'-220' degrees. But if you can, stabil and a battery tender are the easy way..

Starting it occasionally is GOOD!..many engines fall apart from lack of use. Firing it up for a bit keeps the seals from cracking, keeps the fuel system from clogging up ([censored] corn gas wreaks havoc now) and keeps the battery charged..

I can vouch for the rotella. It is all I use in my older ninja. Keep cranking it up, and when he gets back home he will appreciate your effort more than you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back