Winter Diesel????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am new to the world of Diesels....

I live in Colorado and I have a concern about cold temps and diesel fuel. Seemed it was an issue back in the 70's and 80's....when my folks owned a diesel car.

If I am driving up to Breckenridge in January and the temps are negative 17 degrees....do I have an issue?

Should I be adding anything to my diesel?

There are anti-gel additives that either drop the cloud/gel point. Some places also sell #1 diesel, which has better cold flow properties but less energy content.

The brand name diesel fuels are generally formulated with an anti-gel agent during the winter,so you probably don't have to worry as long as you're buying quality fuel from a place that sells some volume (so you're not getting summer fuel out of their tank). Using an anti-gel additive would give you an additional layer of protection and peace of mind though, and really doesn't have any downside.

Thanks for the info.

I suppose I should also ask my VW Dealer what the official suggestion is by VW.

I remember some manufacturers recommended adding gasoline (up to 10% ?) to help with cold weather starting. Can anyone verify this?

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I remember some manufacturers recommended adding gasoline (up to 10% ?) to help with cold weather starting. Can anyone verify this?

Never heard such a thing. Winter diesel already contains kerosene. Maybe that's what they're were talking about.

Long ago blends like this were sometimes suggested to add volatility. Kerosine is a better option to cut the fuel if needed.

Follow up.....

Two weeks ago, the family and I drove up to Grand Lake, just north of Winter Park and did a hotel, over-night. When we woke up the next morning, it was negative 7 degrees. The TDI started right up. We also drove about 30 miles south, encountering temps down to -12.....and problems whatsoever.

Originally Posted By: BigJohn
If I am driving up to Breckenridge in January and the temps are negative 17 degrees....do I have an issue?

Probably not, if you're using 'local' fuel that's of good quality. You could bring along a bottle of PS white or Howes Diesel Treat otherwise. Glad to hear you didn't have any issues.

This is true... for old, indirect injection/prechamber diesels. A very bad idea in modern, high speed direct injection diesels.

BigJohn,
my PM lives in west co springs at 8300ft and has never added any addy to his fuel and he buys the cheapest diesel he can find, but all in denver to co springs area, no issues with gelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back