Oil for '98 Honda Accord EX (4-cylinder)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just purchased this vehicle for my teenagers at 102K miles with uncertain past maintenance. I'm planning on using ARX, and then I will start using a synthetic oil. The manual specifies 5W-30. Should I stick with this weight or can I use 5W-20, for possible better gas mileage, or can I use some of the GC 0W-30 that I use for my '98 Passat 1.8T ? Thanks.

Kevin

GC is probably squandered on a car like this, imo.

Honda engines are notoriously easy on oil. Are you looking to extend OCIs? Are you SURE you want to go synthetic?

If you must go synthetic, I'd say Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30. With 102k, I can't imagine the benefit of a 20-weight. The mileage improvement would probably be minimal, and a car of that vintage has a substantial possibility of a leaky injector or head gasket that could dilute the oil.

I run the 6k OCI 4mo. 12k filter with .59 cent Chevron 5w-20 in my wifes '97 CRV (owned since new) 115k now, don't even bother checking the dipstick because it uses no oil...mileage should be a bit better too.

Do the same with my '03 2.4 Accord except OCI is 3mo. 7,500 and filter 15k....at the end the oils not even black...going to do a UOA on this soon as B/S sends a kit.

Yep, I'd say Honda 4cyl. are easy on oil but because they're engineered so well.

Unless the car has been horribly neglected, you shouldn't have a sludge issue. A valve cover gasket & 4 spark plug tube seals will only set you back $20-$25 bucks, and since it's due a valve adjustment anyway, why not pop the cover off & look at it? The ARX is a good idea, just to free up the ring packs. As for oil, I agree with some other posts, this car is so easy on oil, a high quality dino like Havoline works great and easily does 5K intervals with positive analysis results, in most circumstances.

The more pressing thing to me would be the timing belt issue - do you happen to know for sure the belt has or has not been changed? The interval for these cars is 105K, so you're there.
Dealers in this area charge about $450 to $475 for that service which includes both timing belts, water pump replacement, both drive belts, cooling system flush, valve adjustment, and crank & camshaft oil seals. If you can do the job yourself, those parts will run you about $175 or so if you buy genuine Honda parts wholesale.

This vintage Honda engine is an interference engine, so not wise to gamble on if the belt has / has not been changed. If in doubt, you'd best belly-up to the bar and pay to have it done.

You've got a great car that will easily double the current mileage with very minimal care & maintenance.

Good luck w/ the car. Both of my daughter's have Accords & I enjoy working on them.

Market525:
Thanks for the reminder about the timing belt. Would you stick with the 5W-30 weight recommended in the manual, or would you use 5W-20, or does it matter ? Thanks again.

Kevin

Just my opinion, but I'd stick w/ 5w30. Honda didn't spec 5w20 for this engine in Accords untill the 2001 model year I believe. I've never been one to try to re engineer, if you know what I mean.
Again, I think you are wise to run at least one ARX treatment on the Accord. I've used it in both daughter's Accords as well as other applicatons w/ success.

I'd be concerned about the transmission if automatic. These have had problems.....change out the fluid and check condition of old stuff.
If it's a stick, drive for another 100k without worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back