5W30 Red Line - 5.7k - 2008 Infiniti G37 - VQ37HR

Status
Not open for further replies.
# of Months in Service - 5.5

# of Miles on Vehicle = 13,400 at start of interval - 19,100 at end (oil change)

-Oil Filter is WIX 51365 (Napa Gold).

-Driving is typical commute, no racing and not too aggressive.

-All driving is in Florida and this interval was primarily in the summer month mornings and evenings (85F average).

After this current interval, I am considering changing to Penn Ultra because the car is under warranty and Red Line's lack of certification may be a problem from what I've read online.

I am new to oil analysis, but read what I can on this site. Any input, suggestions, comments are greatly appreciated.
infinitig37uoablackston.jpg

Pennzoil Ultra isn't even in the same ball field as Redline. If you want the best for your engine, you've already got it. The API label on the bottle is only of interest if the manufacturer blames an unlikely engine failure on the oil used. If your engine does in fact, freakishly, disintegrate more than likely Nissan will cover your engine.

Your engine is young and you are treating it to the best, keep it up!

The KV100 reading of 8.85 cSt is interesting as RL is VII free and is impervious to shear.
Any chance that this was RL 5W-20 instead? Not that it matters, with their high HTHS values they are very robust oils.

The report is not bad and as Blackstone says, one report by itself is not enough to judge on.

The report looks good to me, with the two exceptions noted. If you're only going to run it for 5700 miles, I would use a name-brand conventional like PYB, Havoline, QS, Motorcraft, etc., in the API spec and viscosity required. The synthetic isn't buying you anything but higher costs if they don't spec synthetic or if you don't run it out past the recommended OCI.

You know Redline is a great oil BUT... I would put $$ that if you used PP or PU or even Dino like those listed by Rizzo you will get great long life out of your engine whilst saving $$ and giving you great UOA's.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
The KV100 reading of 8.85 cSt is interesting as RL is VII free and is impervious to shear.
Any chance that this was RL 5W-20 instead? Not that it matters, with their high HTHS values they are very robust oils.

No, it says 5W-30 on the label.

Originally Posted By: J. A. Rizzo
If you're only going to run it for 5700 miles, I would use a name-brand conventional like PYB, Havoline, QS, Motorcraft, etc., in the API spec and viscosity required.

No, this would be a mistake for that engine. I agree, using any brand name mineral oil is OK for previous generation of Infiniti, equipped by VQ35. But VQ37 requires synthetic due to completely different valve timing. Personally I would use Syntec Xx40 or Mobil1 0w40 here.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

The report is not bad and as Blackstone says, one report by itself is not enough to judge on.

Red Line does use VII when necessary. I'm not sure how much, if any is in the 5w-30, though. Likely none, based on the HTHS number. It is odd to see their oils sheared.

Redline is a good oil, but in Florida, I'd move to their 10W-30...no need for the '5W' their. Even RL SAE 30 would work just as well.

I think Red Line 5W-30 is an excellent oil choice for this known problem engine, as discussed in Dwight's thread. It should excel in tough apps at $10 US per quart. I wouldn't consider switching to conventional oils. I would stick with 5,000 mile intervals, not Blackstone's suggested 6,000.

Red Line 10W-30 is only a better choice if it's required by warranty. Red Line 5W-30 has better cold starts, no VII according to Dave when I called him, equal shear, higher flash point, and almost the same viscosity at 100°C. As long as you don't tell the dealer Red Line isn't API certified, you should be fine. Red Line is still required to meet the claims on the bottle (recommended for specific API service standards and viscosity).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back