Pirelli Cinturato P5 vs Michelin HydoEdge-the diff

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, about 7,000 miles ago, I got rid of the original tires on my 08 Honda civic and bought 4 Pirelli Cinturato P5. I had wanted the Michelin Hydo Edge, but they didn’t have any in San Diego and I didn’t want to wait a few days for them to come from their distribution center. While there were posts regarding a decrease in the MPG with the Pirellis, there had been other posts stating that they saw no decrease in MPG. So I bought the Pirellis and immediately saw a 5 to 7 mpg decrease. I posted this and some said that it was due to the break end period. Well, I kept monitoring them and the MPG never came back up.

So at my first rotation and balance, I made a comment to the manager at Discount tires about the decrease and he said that if I was willing to pay the current difference between the Pierelli and Michelin that he would put the hydro edges on. I figured, since they had been my original tires that I had wanted, that I would go along with it.
Well, I’m happy to tell you that my MPGs are back up to where they were prior to the Perellis. The only difference that I can tell is that I think the Perellis handle a bit better.
So if you’re looking for a long wearing tire that gets great MPGs, go with the Hydro Edges.

Discount Tire is awesome. They have treated me very well in every deal I've made with them. For example, two months ago I bought 4 new tires for our old Citation, out the door it was only $200. So last week my 19 yo drove the car with one tire flat for several miles!!! Clearly a case of customer neglect, but they only charged me $15 to get a new one installed :)

Discount treats people the way Les Schwab used to treat people.

I have 52,000 miles on my Hydroedges and I still have more than 6/32 remaining on all four. Unfortunately, traction is quite poor and the tires are extremely noisy despite having corrected all alignment issues.

Originally Posted By: hate2work
Discount treats people the way Les Schwab used to treat people.

Schwab and Discount Tire treat me well. It's just that Schwab is a good shop for everything except tires.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
It's just that Schwab is a good shop for everything except tires.

And customer service. At least the two local ones to me.

The Pirelli P5 Cinturanto(or whatever they're called) are exclusive to DiscountTire. I have the P4's and love em. They do handle well but Im not comparing them to Michelin, just to the Continentals that the P4's replaced and I notice no MPG loss. Consumer Reports Mag rated the HydroEdge tops in their "T" speed rating/catigory.

1)Michelin HydroEdge/score 84
2)Hankook Optimo H727 82
3)Pirelli P4 80

CR also rated the P5s pretty well. Using their little bubble charts:

The Michelin was two notches better in Treadlife.
The Michelin was one notch better in Dry Braking, Handling, Rolling Resistance.
They were the same in Wet Braking, Hydroplaning, Snow Traction, Ride Comfort.
The Pirelli was one notch better in Ice Braking, Noise.

Originally Posted By: powayroger
And from what I have gathered, they are several notches above the P5 in MPG.

I wonder if that depends on the car...

Originally Posted By: hate2work
Discount Tire is awesome. They have treated me very well in every deal I've made with them. For example, two months ago I bought 4 new tires for our old Citation, out the door it was only $200. So last week my 19 yo drove the car with one tire flat for several miles!!! Clearly a case of customer neglect, but they only charged me $15 to get a new one installed :)
That's quite a story, and normally I'd be very surprised except having experienced DT's consistently excellent service after the sale, I'm less so. Still, a new tire for a $15 installation charge, on a driven flat, is fairly amazing no matter how you look at it. And you still own/drive a Chevy Citation, that's fairly amazing too.
cheers3.gif

As for the tires, the Michelins currently have a $70 rebate at DT, another reason to look at the HydroEdge.

The reason for the poor gas mileage is the Pirelli Cinturato P5 tires are larger then the Michelin HydoEdge of the same tire size. Pirelli 195/70-14 rotates 834 turn per mile were as the Michelin turn 864. Michelin turn 30 more times. Do the math.

------------------------------------------------------
If you can read this, thank our teachers.
If you can read this in English, thank our soldiers...

Last edited:
The original post was about tires for an '08 Civic. Which doesn't have 195/70R14 tires, but most likely, 205/55R16 tires. In this size, the Michelin turns 839 times per mile. The Pirelli P4 is 827 times per mile, and I assume the P5 would share that spec, since it's mostly the same tire (just the DT version).

839 / 827 = 1.0121

That's a 1.2% increase in revolutions per mile, and potentially, a 1.2% overstatement of miles in the MPG calc. It doesn't explain the dramatic difference experienced in the OP's case, but it is a good point nonetheless.

Originally Posted By: ewing2130
The reason for the poor gas mileage is the Pirelli Cinturato P5 tires are larger then the Michelin HydoEdge of the same tire size. Pirelli 195/70-14 rotates 834 turn per mile were as the Michelin turn 864. Michelin turn 30 more times. Do the math.

Check your numbers also. In that size, the Michelin is 846 times per mile, not 864. So like the 16" size that the OP's Honda likely has, the difference in revolutions per mile between the Michelin and Pirelli is very small (1.44% in your 195/70R14 example).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back