Flat spots from brake lock up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have flat spots on two of my tires that were mounted up front. The reason for the flat spots was a momentary brake lock up two weeks ago.

You feel it more when the car is driven slow, especially when braking. But it gets especially annoying if you pay attention to it on the highway. Now that I did a cross tire rotation and they are mounted at the back, it is even more annoying.

The tires are Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus', mounted on my Grand Marquis with over 75% thread remaining, and were manufactured in November 2009. So I just feel it would be a shame to replace them.

I was really looking to get the tires 'shaved', but unfortunately there is no such service in my neck of the woods. So I was wondering if slightly over-inflating the two tires (now mounted at the back) to 40 PSI and doing a couple of brake stands would help in any way?
confused.gif
Thanks!
thumbsup2.gif

I have a flat spot on one of my snow tires and it seems its gradually going away, still very noticable though and probably won't disappeart soon.
I guess if your ready to trash the tires then you might as well try a burn out to "level" them. Probably the faster you can spin them, the better. Take a picture anyways!

i found it hard to believe to accidentally flat spotted a tire to where it is actually noticeable, but then read that you are in Kuwait, now its not so unbelievable...

Originally Posted By: rosshimself13
i found it hard to believe to accidentally flat spotted a tire to where it is actually noticeable, but then read that you are in Kuwait, now its not so unbelievable...

The tires didn't lock up 'accidently'. Another 'courteous' driver caused a situation where an immediate stop was required. She wanted to take an exit off the highway from the centre lane, and screwed everybody in the process by literally stopping in the middle of the highway. Driving in this country is a pain in the backside to say the least.

Originally Posted By: cchase
It's more than likely you'll just do a "one wheel peel" and then where will you be? Not worth it imo.

Yes, unfortunately I have an open rear end with a 3.08 ratio. I am replacing it with a locker unit, but that's not any time soon. The plan was to 'sort' one tire out and then mount the other on the right rear. But now that I think more thoroughly about it, that's very valid point. Is it really going to be worth putting all that stress on the drivetrain? Might as well just replace them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back