VW - TDI - oil change recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2010 VW Jetta TDI and the dealer says to change the oil at 10,000 mile intervals and use only Castrol SLX 5w30 - LL 03. The dealer said if I change it too often the lack of soot in the oil won't allow break-in to properly occur.

I CAN"T DO IT !!!! It is way too long to keep oil in a new diesel engine !!!

What will happen if I change the oil at the old standard, 3,000 mile interval, while using the correct Castrol oil spec (see above)??

Follow the schedule in the owners manual and you'll be fine. Those VW engineers are the ones who designed the engine. FWIW--Oldtommy

Originally Posted By: dennyg
I have a 2010 VW Jetta TDI and the dealer says to change the oil at 10,000 mile intervals and use only Castrol SLX 5w30 - LL 03. The dealer said if I change it too often the lack of soot in the oil won't allow break-in to properly occur.

What will happen if I change the oil at the old standard, 3,000 mile interval, while using the correct Castrol oil spec (see above)??

You dealer is full of soot about break-in. There is also no need to change the oil at 3k miles although once on a new engine might be a good idea.

There is a wealth of good information on the tdiclub dot com forum.

Read your owners manual for oil requirements. I believe it will tell you which oil specs your oil has to meet rather than listing one specific oil.

There are several other good choices for oil, too, including Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30, available at PepBoys. All evidence points to 10k OCIs being on the conservative side for the VW diesels.

Nothing. Good, bad or otherwise, except you'll be out hard-earned $$$ for no reason.

Originally Posted By: AlienBug

Nothing. Good, bad or otherwise, except you'll be out hard-earned $$$ for no reason.

Amen

Follow what the manufacture says. Obviously check the oil level periodically. My co-worker has the 2.5 gas engine in a 09 Jetta and follows the 10k service interval. It's at >45k miles and runs well.

At ten bucks a liter for SLX or a little less for QS Q-Diesel, etc., what will happen is you will waste a lot of money. Same motor in Europe has a 12K OCI I believe.

Some say doing 3K OCI with the 507 oil will do more harm than good due to the ultra-high detergency, bur I'm not convinced yet.

dennyg,

Specifically regarding break-in...

a.) Some feel you should dump the oil as soon as you get home.
Rational being to get that initial metal soupy fill out.

Once you done this, you would run the oil a decent interval to allow a nice run in/break in.
Key to the above is to again, dump the FF immediately.

b.) Next approach is a hyper like approach.... short runs...perhaps 1k or less, and then dropping the oil.
This done x number of times. Rational get break in metals out as soon as possible.

c.) Next style is to, as you mention run the initial fill for some amount of time, as you suggest, perhaps 3k miles..... perhaps 5k...
Rational is you want to allow some amount of engine run in, but you want rid your engine of what you feel is break in contaminants as well.

d.) Next style…. the stated interval should be followed. Some feel this way because VW, in this case, states so in their literature, some feel this way because they may feel they have info that suggests the procedure is sound.
In any case, the idea of removing the contaminates is not an issue of concern in this approach.

Point of consideration to d.) In the case of VW it is well documented that the same engine which once had a 5k internal now lists a 10k internal. Same oil specification. What changed? Fee service for 36k. What do do?

I've done a.) many, many years ago with a new Honda, I had them do the oil change right then and there.... after that, I simply changed the oil as one should. UOA was not in my vocabulary.

I've done c.) on a new Honda Odyssey, with UOA support, I cannot say one way or another if the approach helped vs. those who ran longer.

I've done b.) on an 08 Silverado... with UOA support... I do not like the approach for many reasons…. I felt the engine did not break in properly till I was passed 30k miles.

I've never done d.) never. As the op mentions, I just don't think I can.

I like c.) best.... no evidence shown to be better, I like it.

My parents... are smack @ 8k on their way to 10k on a new Honda... my Pops who is quite old doesn't feel easy about it, but keeps telling me the dealer told him to follow the OLM. Good for my Pops... We know that engine will be fine.

I have a 2010 TDI (Sig below). My dealer fully explained the VW maintenance plan to me, by the book....except one thing.... They suggested a first oil change at 5K miles. Yes the diesels have a 10K OCI. But, I also have to take the vehicle in to the dealer, every 5K to check the AddBlu level.

My dealer wanted to change my oil at the 5k mark and gave me a $15 oil change certificate to motivate me. I jumped all over it and had the oil changed at 5K. I thought it important to get the break-in metals out of the oil.

The next oil change will be at 10K and then I will stick with the 10K OCI's. I see no issue whatsoever in doing 10K OCI's in my Touareg....especially since it has a 9 quart sump.

Back in the day... prior to CareFREE maintenance.... TDI's had their first oil change at 5,000 miles. 2nd at 10,000 miles & the rest were every 10,000 miles.

So... when VW is currently footing the bill, they are cheapening out.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Back in the day... prior to CareFREE maintenance.... TDI's had their first oil change at 5,000 miles. 2nd at 10,000 miles & the rest were every 10,000 miles.

Except...Europe has had the first-change at 10K miles for a while now.

I will tell you an instructive experience with Castrol SLX Professional OE 5W30 in our newish 2009 BMW X5 35d diesel after 10K miles. The UOA showed a TBN of only 1.5, and worse a TAN of 4.83. This worried me considerably. The Fe was pretty high at 94ppm but it was only the 2nd oil change.
It worried me so much that I ordered a bunch of Delvac 1 LE 5W30 from Europe, a MB228.5/51 oil with a TBN of 12.6 but ash only 1.00% and P I'm going to do a UOA on my (daughter's) 09 TDI Jetta sometime.
I'd like to see the TBN on a TDI with 10K miles using the low alkalinity SLX oil.
ACEA E6 oils only differ from C3 oils in the extra 0.2% ash, and the ones that also meet E4/MB228.5 have TBNs of at least 12 - there aren't that many, and must all be ordered from Europe. D1 is the only one AFAIK that is 5W30 (it is mostly PAO); naturally it has an HTHS>3.5.
The vast majority are 10W40 and are synthetic blends.
CJ4/ACEA E9 oils wouldn't be good, they have ~900-1100ppm P and anyways some aren't so high on TBN.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

Except...Europe has had the first-change at 10K miles for a while now.

Bah! Facts? Sheesh.

We have seen many used-oil tests on oil from these engines drawn at 5000 miles, and the tests always show that it is good for the full 10k miles.

The factory fill is totally different from any oil you can buy. We do not know all the specifics, but the most obvious difference is a lot of potassium where most engines oil doesn't contain any. No one knows what else is in there, but whatever is in there, the oil is designed to last 10k miles.

If you insist on draining perfectly good oil from your engine, I hope you have another car you can put that oil into. But I strongly recommend that you not change the oil until 10k miles.

i change my oil at 10k. i was contemplating every 5k, but apparently you can go between 10-15k with no problems.
I have a cousin in italy who drives a 2005 golf tdi, he changes his oil every 30000 km. he is currently using amsoil 5w40 spec 505 01. he has 560000km.
no cam failure, no engine failure at all.

To answer your last question first - You will waste money and might not get the engine protection that 10k OCI would provide.
Diesel oil is designed to "carry" soot, and there are studies/opinions that the wear takes place early in the OCI and the protection increases as the acid levels rise and activate certain additives. I certainly don't know, you can have the pleasure of reading all that on the tdiforum.
What I do know is that 10k for these engines is not a problem, but use of the correct oil is. Your dealer is right in saying to use that oil. (Or an equivalent by specification).
I only have 200k on mine,one of the above posters has over 300k on his, and there are many more with upwards of that mileage. Took me a while to buy into it also. 10k and sleep well. Just use the right stuff.

For advice other than from what you yourself know or 'feel' to be best, I would only trust three people at their word:

In no particular order:
1. Terry Dyson
2. Mola
3. Too Slick

Oh, Bruce the Blender also, I forget his handle, haven't seen much from him lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back