My Rotella T6 cold start experience...

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW! I stayed over night at a friends house who has identical truck as mine (duramax LBZ) and this morning in michigan at about 18 degrees this morning, I started mine up with the T6 and also started my friends, and noticed a huge difference in how much smoother my motor sounded with the T6 vs my friends with rotella 15w40....now I know that 15w40 is supposedly good down to around zero degrees....BUT why not offer your engine better startup protection with a 5w40? Zero degrees or not? I left some 15w40 outside once in the cold and also some T6 5w40, and poured them out after a day and noticed quite a big difference! I know everyone has their own opinion on this subject....but I for sure will be definitely using 5w40 in winter time. Probably do a twice a year oil change....5w40/10w30 T5 around november/december, and 15w40 in the springsummer(may/june)....or maybe I will just stay with the 5w40 or 10w30 year round??? We will see. -Peace

It is definitely a beautiful feeling to experience a nice and smooth cold start with the proper weight oil...you're first hand experience is proof. Sounds like the 5w-40 is the weight you need.

Originally Posted By: Ponch
WOW! I stayed over night at a friends house who has identical truck as mine (duramax LBZ) and this morning in michigan at about 18 degrees this morning, I started mine up with the T6 and also started my friends, and noticed a huge difference in how much smoother my motor sounded with the T6 vs my friends with rotella 15w40....now I know that 15w40 is supposedly good down to around zero degrees....BUT why not offer your engine better startup protection with a 5w40? Zero degrees or not? I left some 15w40 outside once in the cold and also some T6 5w40, and poured them out after a day and noticed quite a big difference! I know everyone has their own opinion on this subject....but I for sure will be definitely using 5w40 in winter time. Probably do a twice a year oil change....5w40/10w30 T5 around november/december, and 15w40 in the springsummer(may/june)....or maybe I will just stay with the 5w40 or 10w30 year round??? We will see. -Peace

always nice to here a real life situation,,,i use t6 year around, no problems good oil.............

15W-40 Group I,II or III in Michigan in Dec-Jan-Feb is just nuts. I doubt I would even do it with Group IV-V.

The difference with a 5W-40 Group III and 15W-40 Group I,II or III is HUGE. A group IV-V 5W-40 even larger!!

why not offer your engine better startup protection with a 5w40?

Why not 0w-40? It would be even better.

For sure pablo! A few years back during michigans coldest winter... -20 below wind chills, I was walking by my buddy's truck at work while he was starting his 2005 ford super duty diesel using rotella 15w40, and I swear it sounded like fingernails scraping on chalkboard! Horrible knocking sounds and all, I asked him if he considered using a synthetic 5w30 or 10w30 in this extreme cold, and he just laughed at me and said "WHY" "Synthetic is too expensive" I just walked away shaking my head....needless to say, his truck is running very strong still with some extreme abuse from him from drag racing, and touching EGT's of near 1700 degrees! Rotella since brand new.

Quattro pete....what brand of 0w40? I think john deere makes a 0w40 if im not mistaken??

Glad to hear it's working good. I was talking to my buddy that is running T6 in his wife's 93 Pathfinder. He said that is the quietest that engine has been during cold starts in the wintertime here.

Quattro pete....what brand of 0w40? I think john deere makes a 0w40 if im not mistaken??

M1 makes a very good 0W-40, I'm sure there are others.

"hate2work"....yes mobil 1 makes a 0w40, and it is a good oil but it is not diesel rated....otherwise I would consider it.

"hate2work"....yes mobil 1 makes a 0w40, and it is a good oil but it is not diesel rated....otherwise I would consider it.

IIRC, they do make a Diesel 0w40 under the Delvac 1 moniker.

As a note of interest, don't forget that the T5 in 10w-30 has exactly the same cold cranking ability as the T6 5w-40, per Shell's own documents. In fact, the T5 in 10w-40 is essentially the same as well (off by only 3 deg C). The T5's are lesser in cost, but not performance. Especially the 10w-30, which is commonly available in W/M for around $12/gallon or less.

Here's some info Jim Allen dug up:
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Get the Data Sheet (such as it is) from Shell's site and look at what they call dynamic viscosity, ASTM D5293, which is the apparent viscosity of oil between -5 and -35C as tested in a cold cranking simulator. A lower number is better.

The Data Sheets convention T-3 oils do not list this spec but show pour point

10W30/15W40= -30C pour point

The T-5 Semi-Syns:

0W30= Dyn Visc- 5680, -51C pour point
10W30= Dyn Visc- 6000, -42C pour point
10W40= Dyn Visc- 6700, -39C pour point

The T-6 Syn

5W40= Dyn Visc- 6000, -42C pour point

As you can see, there is little to choose among the T-5 and T-6 oils in terms of cold weather and pour points. You can extrapolate a little on the conventional T-3 oils by their pour points, but I have in notes from talking to a Shell guy some time back that the dynamic viscosity on the 10W30 was 6600 and the 15W40 was 7000 (that was CJ-4 oil if it matters). The 10W30 T5 and the 5W40 T6 are nearly identical. The 40 grade oil just takes you a little farther into the warm weather area, using your OE viscosity chart. The 40 grade would likely cost you a little mpg (a very little) in warm weather but would provide better protection in hot, or if you were running loaded and hard in any ambient temp.

As I said, it's almost a tossup but I wouldn't worry about dumping the 10W30 in there now in favor of a 5W40. You have time to agonize over your oil choice thru the winter. At least you have a place to come for mutual hand-wringing. ( : < )

Last edited:
I would have no doubt that the T6 would crank right over when compared to Rotella T 15w40.. that's one thick oil. I ran it in the summer in my H4 and I notice the startup slow down even in mildly chilly summer weather!

The T5 appears to be an excellent oil. I'm thinking of using it next summer for my towing season and it's going in my new snowblower this winter.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
As a note of interest, don't forget that the T5 in 10w-30 has exactly the same cold cranking ability as the T6 5w-40, per Shell's own documents. In fact, the T5 in 10w-40 is essentially the same as well (off by only 3 deg C). The T5's are lesser in cost, but not performance. Especially the 10w-30, which is commonly available in W/M for around $12/gallon or less.

Here's some info Jim Allen dug up:
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Get the Data Sheet (such as it is) from Shell's site and look at what they call dynamic viscosity, ASTM D5293, which is the apparent viscosity of oil between -5 and -35C as tested in a cold cranking simulator. A lower number is better.

The Data Sheets convention T-3 oils do not list this spec but show pour point

10W30/15W40= -30C pour point

The T-5 Semi-Syns:

0W30= Dyn Visc- 5680, -51C pour point
10W30= Dyn Visc- 6000, -42C pour point
10W40= Dyn Visc- 6700, -39C pour point

The T-6 Syn

5W40= Dyn Visc- 6000, -42C pour point

As you can see, there is little to choose among the T-5 and T-6 oils in terms of cold weather and pour points. You can extrapolate a little on the conventional T-3 oils by their pour points, but I have in notes from talking to a Shell guy some time back that the dynamic viscosity on the 10W30 was 6600 and the 15W40 was 7000 (that was CJ-4 oil if it matters). The 10W30 T5 and the 5W40 T6 are nearly identical. The 40 grade oil just takes you a little farther into the warm weather area, using your OE viscosity chart. The 40 grade would likely cost you a little mpg (a very little) in warm weather but would provide better protection in hot, or if you were running loaded and hard in any ambient temp.

As I said, it's almost a tossup but I wouldn't worry about dumping the 10W30 in there now in favor of a 5W40. You have time to agonize over your oil choice thru the winter. At least you have a place to come for mutual hand-wringing. ( : < )

This does not take into account that the temperature these oils are tested at for cold cranking is determined by the winter number. A 10w is tested at a different temperature than a 5w or 0w, so direct comparison of the numbers is not possible.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
[This does not take into account that the temperature these oils are tested at for cold cranking is determined by the winter number. A 10w is tested at a different temperature than a 5w or 0w, so direct comparison of the numbers is not possible.

Per the ASTM website:
http://www.astm.org/Standards/D5293.htm
The correlation between CCS and apparent viscosity and engine cranking was confirmed at temperatures between –1 and –40°C by work on 17 commercial engine oils (SAE grades 5W, 10W, 15W, and 20W). Both synthetic and mineral oil based products were evaluated. See ASTM STP 621.
A correlation was established in a low temperature engine performance study between light duty engine startability and CCS measured apparent viscosity. This study used ten 1990s engines at temperatures ranging from –1 down to –40°C with six commercial engine oils (SAE 0W, 5W, 10W, 15W, 20W, and 25W).

It's hard to distinguish from the abstract summary, but it looks as though the light winter grades were all tested to the same standard. Since I'm not familiar with the test, I cannot comment in that regard. At $39, I'm not going to purchase the report. But what it appears to possibly state is that all the differening grades were tested in that total range (-1C to -40C). I would presume the whole point of the test was to see how different grades reacted in cold-cranking ability, comparing one to another. If they tested at different temps and did not cross-test between winter grades, I would agree that the data would not have direct corelation, but then I'd also have to say the test was a big waste of time as well because I would expect for a 10w-xx to crank about as well as any other 10w-xx, dino to dino, syn to syn.

Regardless, here's what I'm trying to point out ...

The T6 5w-40 and T5 10w-30 both have the same cold cranking rating. Even if there were a temp difference in that cold crank set-point, would it equal the price difference in a performance/dollar ratio? In other words, if the 10w T5 was crank-rated at -15 deg and the 5w T6 was rated at -25 deg, do you get a 50% lower temp in crank rating for the 50% cost increase (or more) in the purchase price when you upgrade to T6? I surely don't see that happening.

There are some people that live in really ugly-cold, super e-x-t-r-e-m-e areas. But that's not most of us, and that's not the "cold" that the OP was speaking of. He merely was pointing out how well the diesel cranked over comparing the T5 to the dino 15w-40. I can believe that. But I can also believe that the 10w-30 dino is "better" than the dino 15w-40, and I can believe that the T5 10w-30 compares nearly (if not equally) as well for a lot less cost than the T6. And for most of us, even in the cold of the US, we don't need the added expense. I don't know about you, but I like to get my money's worth. I don't see a minimal (or non-existent) cold-crank temp gain worth 50-60% more money. In the OP's area, the 10w-30 T5 will do every bit as well at the T6 for a lot less money.

If it's that gosh-darn cold in your area where temps are below -35 deg C on a routine basis, then I'd tend to favor a quality PAO 5w-30 HDEO such as Amsoil or perhaps Elixion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
[This does not take into account that the temperature these oils are tested at for cold cranking is determined by the winter number. A 10w is tested at a different temperature than a 5w or 0w, so direct comparison of the numbers is not possible.

Per the ASTM website:
http://www.astm.org/Standards/D5293.htm
The correlation between CCS and apparent viscosity and engine cranking was confirmed at temperatures between &#150;1 and &#150;40°C by work on 17 commercial engine oils (SAE grades 5W, 10W, 15W, and 20W). Both synthetic and mineral oil based products were evaluated. See ASTM STP 621.
A correlation was established in a low temperature engine performance study between light duty engine startability and CCS measured apparent viscosity. This study used ten 1990s engines at temperatures ranging from &#150;1 down to &#150;40°C with six commercial engine oils (SAE 0W, 5W, 10W, 15W, 20W, and 25W).

It's hard to distinguish from the abstract summary, but it looks as though the light winter grades were all tested to the same standard. Since I'm not familiar with the test, I cannot comment in that regard. At $39, I'm not going to purchase the report. But what it appears to possibly state is that all the differening grades were tested in that total range (-1C to -40C). I would presume the whole point of the test was to see how different grades reacted in cold-cranking ability, comparing one to another. If they tested at different temps and did not cross-test between winter grades, I would agree that the data would not have direct corelation, but then I'd also have to say the test was a big waste of time as well because I would expect for a 10w-xx to crank about as well as any other 10w-xx, dino to dino, syn to syn.

Regardless, here's what I'm trying to point out ...

The T6 5w-40 and T5 10w-30 both have the same cold cranking rating. Even if there were a temp difference in that cold crank set-point, would it equal the price difference in a performance/dollar ratio? In other words, if the 10w T5 was crank-rated at -15 deg and the 5w T6 was rated at -25 deg, do you get a 50% lower temp in crank rating for the 50% cost increase (or more) in the purchase price when you upgrade to T6? I surely don't see that happening.

There are some people that live in really ugly-cold, super e-x-t-r-e-m-e areas. But that's not most of us, and that's not the "cold" that the OP was speaking of. He merely was pointing out how well the diesel cranked over comparing the T5 to the dino 15w-40. I can believe that. But I can also believe that the 10w-30 dino is "better" than the dino 15w-40, and I can believe that the T5 10w-30 compares nearly (if not equally) as well for a lot less cost than the T6. And for most of us, even in the cold of the US, we don't need the added expense. I don't know about you, but I like to get my money's worth. I don't see a minimal (or non-existent) cold-crank temp gain worth 50-60% more money. In the OP's area, the 10w-30 T5 will do every bit as well at the T6 for a lot less money.

If it's that gosh-darn cold in your area where temps are below -35 deg C on a routine basis, then I'd tend to favor a quality PAO 5w-30 HDEO such as Amsoil or perhaps Elixion.

guys ,,,u all are splitting hairs and shaven whiskers,,run the 5w40 and have a nice day,,we or me aint inpressed,,way to much info............lol IMHO and so on ,,,,sky

I started mine up with the T6 and also started my friends, and noticed a huge difference in how much smoother my motor sounded with the T6 vs my friends with rotella 15w40....

Yes you will,,my co-worker switched from rotella 15w40 to T6 and said the very same thing,rpms were higher at cold idle and the truck ran much more smoother,less sluggish.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver

guys ,,,u all are splitting hairs and shaven whiskers,,run the 5w40 and have a nice day,,we or me aint inpressed,,way to much info............lol IMHO and so on ,,,,sky

With all due respect...what an ignorant statement!

How do you make choices without looking at the details and understanding the differences? There are a lot of people reading that may be in the sponge stage of learning oil, so this discussion is a teachable moment. If you disagree with any of the facts, make your own case to dispute them. Your statement would indicate all you did was to follow someone else's instructions without any investigation of your own and that you expect everyone else to follow yours the same way. Based on your other posts, I don't think that's true but that's how it came across to me this time.

I would go with the 5w-40 all year if extended oil change intervals are done. The 5w-40 will hold up for the extended oil change intervals. Then there will be a value for the $$$$ spent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back