Rotella Triple Protection 10w30 or T5 10w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are changing the oil in my Brother's 2003 Cummins today. I originally planned on using triple protection 10w30 but just read that T5 is semi-synthetic whereas I thought it was a full synthetic. Price difference is negligible. We are wanting the best winter performance as it will get down to -20*F at some point this winter. We will see -10 to +10 for a decent period as well. It will probably not do very much towing/hauling during this period.

The only concern I have with T5 is if it cleans any deposits off of the seals and causes the seals to weep.

If I lived in central IL, and that NW wind started blowing out of Alberta, I'd want a synthetic in it! T5's pour point is lower than Triple Protection, the seal thing isn't that big a risk with a semi-syn. I wish somebody made a high mileage syn diesel formula (not just CF rated)-I could find a few things to put it in!!

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I wish somebody made a high mileage syn diesel formula (not just CF rated)-I could find a few things to put it in!!

Red Line, being ester based, will do the same things (actually better) that a high mileage oil would.

Including EMPTYING YOUR WALLET! I have used RL in the past-PS fluid in my hydroboost/power brakes on the GMC, & D4 is going to go in the ZF 5 speed on the F-450-but @ $8+/qt.-it would be a bunch of cash to put it in my leaky older trucks!

I use dino Triple Protection 10w-30 year round in IN; your temps are no different over there than here. You'll be fine using the dino.
That being said, if it were only a $1 more for the T5, the peace of mind might be worth it.

BTW, the T5 in 10w-30 pumps as well as T6, per Shell's own data, in really cold temps (for a lot less $).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I use dino Triple Protection 10w-30 year round in IN; your temps are no different over there than here. You'll be fine using the dino.
That being said, if it were only a $1 more for the T5, the peace of mind might be worth it.

BTW, the T5 in 10w-30 pumps as well as T6, per Shell's own data, in really cold temps (for a lot less $).

We did end up using the dino triple protection 10w30. I plan on doing a UOA in ~8,000 miles.

T5 will give you better winter performance for sure. For the $1 difference that's what I would choose. That being said, any rotella product is top notch, so you can't go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back