B&S 18HP Intek

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was googling for some more info since I now see there's a new part number for the head gasket for a 31H777.

Mine appears to have blown again this past weekend. I already ordered the new gasket. This becoming quite old.

Ok, just to update this thread new head gasket part number is 794114. Apparently the gasket is the same just a revised part number since Brigs bought out other companies.

This time a applied 2 coats of copper spray to both sides of the gasket and torqued the gasket an addition 5 ft lbs. I used the machine for 1/2 hour and it ran smoothly and no smoke. Parked it for the winter and will re-torque the head in the spring after a heat cycle or two.

I also found a copper head gasket for these series engines on the net. If this one blows again I'll be trying the copper gasket.

I have blown my head gasket on a 17hp AVS 31ci Intek, replaceed gasket, torqued head, 3 stages, to torque plus 10%, mowed again, very very heavy going, long grass, have blown gasket again, have contacted www.eccarburetors.com to see if their gasket
http://www.eccarburetors.com/estore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1836
fits this engine but no reply so far, hopefully something in the next few days. I made a copper head gasket for a Mini (Morris) 1300 when I was younger, took a lot of time, I'm happy to buy one if I can get one. Are there any other heavy duty gaskets out there, particularly with a fire ring on them?

I believe that gasket fits, although you have to file the bore some as it's a little smaller. At least that was the case with my 18HP AVS Intek.

Also make sure oil level is not too high as these engines can ingest excess oil and blow gaskets that way. Make sure block and head are true and replace head bolts with grade 8 bolts. As you can see above I used copper spray but I didn't replace bolts, that advice was given to me after I finished.

Originally Posted By: 97 GTP
I believe that gasket fits, although you have to file the bore some as it's a little smaller. At least that was the case with my 18HP AVS Intek.

So you fitted one of these?

Also make sure oil level is not too high as these engines can ingest excess oil and blow gaskets that way.

Only problem is the oil level after 5 hous of mowing, drops on the dipstick from full to ADD.

Make sure block and head are true and replace head bolts with grade 8 bolts. As you can see above I used copper spray but I didn't replace bolts, that advice was given to me after I finished.

I didn't check the head/block, it looked very good with just the small blow across to the push rod gallery. It could be slightly warped but I doubt it, I will check it this time. It was a rush job last time and my own equipment so not a big concern. I can't remember but either the gasket I took off and/or the one I replaced it with was actually poorly designed with width at the oil gallery trimmed square.
As the bolts go into an aluminium head I thought they would be strong enough as they only have 25Nm torque applied, I expected they would not stretch that much, due to the size of the bolt. But I will thoroughly inspect when I pull it down again, it will have to keep running with a blown gasket for a while..................

Originally Posted By: 100td

So you fitted one of these?

I emailed them.

----------------------------------------------------------------
EC Sales:
If for a 31 yes some trim to the inside of bore is needed. And a copper spray is a good idea and allow proper dry time.

Me:
Does it require any modification since it's also listed for a 28 series Briggs? Also, do you recommend copper spray for a OEM gasket replacement?
----------------------------------------------------------------

They always blow in the same spot, the push rod galley. I think the point of the new bolts is that they don't expand/contract with the heat as much. I can't comment much on the copper spray since I only have 1 year on the gasket so far. The OEM one lasted
2 or 3 years and the replacement lasted about 2 years, we'll see long term on this one, but if it blows I will replace with a copper gasket.

Do you remember if your last gasket had a fire ring or not.
The one I used did not, it came out of a valve cover gasket set, (head gasket, valve cover gasket, exhaust gasket, inlet valve stem seal, carby to manifold gasket)
The original part no. for the head gasket is 699168, but has been superseded by 794114 and I'm wondering if mine was an older gasket or the new one. Looking at this picture, http://www.ereplacementparts.com/images/part_794114-1_med.gif] it's hard to tell if it has a fire ring. No one in town has one in stock so I don't want to order one and get the same as I already have. I have emailed B & S about a fire ring but no response yet. Have not had a response from eccarburetors either .

As an added note, I also get a cross reference for the head gasket as 796584 from the B&S website, however the 794114 is also still available. It appears that B&S 796584 is the correct one, 794114 is listed from ereplacementparts.com and is also listed for other 31 ci engines.

Last edited:
699168 being superseded is due company acquisitions. The part is the same, at least that's what my part guy told me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back