Michelin Date Code

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just purchased some new Michelin Pilot tires witha date code of 004X, can anybody explain this one? First 2 digits are supposed to be the week, second two the year? Appreciate any input.

Are you sure you are reading the correct side of the tire? In my experience there are different codes on each side of the tire.

Just a thought, check the other sidewall and see if the DOT code ends in 4 numbers.

All 4 tires are the same and date code looks in correct format and 'square' where they are on other tires, will check again tonight, thanks for the quick reply!

Actually, 2 years isn't all that old.

Properly stored, tires can last a long time. The problem is the storage conditions - and then once the tire has been installed, the ambient and operating conditions.

General rule of thumb is that 3 years is the practical limit for a shelf life. So as 3 years approaches, many tire manufacturers will offer these tires at discount, with the idea of getting them quickly into service. So if you get a good deal, it just might be that the tires are a little old. There's nothing wrong with that - the tires are OK - it's just a good way to keep the stock fresh.

There is something to be said for Sams Club where you can pick your tires off the rack and get the newest freshest tires in there
smile.gif

It's my understanding that the USDOT has decreed that the safe life of a tire is 5 years from the date of manufacture, regardless of installation date. When considering used cars I always check the condition of tires and manufacturer's date. A tire can look good but might be approaching the end of it safe life.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Actually, 2 years isn't all that old.

Properly stored, tires can last a long time. The problem is the storage conditions - and then once the tire has been installed, the ambient and operating conditions.

General rule of thumb is that 3 years is the practical limit for a shelf life. So as 3 years approaches, many tire manufacturers will offer these tires at discount, with the idea of getting them quickly into service. So if you get a good deal, it just might be that the tires are a little old. There's nothing wrong with that - the tires are OK - it's just a good way to keep the stock fresh.

Originally Posted By: Roscoe10
It's my understanding that the USDOT has decreed.......

I am 99.99% sure that is NOT true. If it were, I am in a position where this would have created a HUGE amount of activity preparing for its implementation - AND - no activity is taking place!

Last edited:
Roscoe10 said:

I am 99.99% sure that is NOT true. If it were, I am in a position where this would have created a HUGE amount of activity preparing for its implementation - AND - no activity is taking place! [/quote

My apologies. You are correct. My research indicated that the tire aging investigation in ongoing and currently no definite guidelines have been issued. However, you might find this article interesting. http://www.cbsatlanta.com/news/23530087/detail.html

I think you meant to do this:

Originally Posted By: Roscoe10

I am 99.99% sure that is NOT true. If it were, I am in a position where this would have created a HUGE amount of activity preparing for its implementation - AND - no activity is taking place!

My apologies. You are correct. .......

That guy Barry really knows alot about tires. I wonder as a tire engineer.... does he work with race tires/teams/NASCAR ?

Sometimes Tony Stewart talks trash about GoodYear when he has a bad day at the track.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
That guy Barry really knows alot about tires. I wonder as a tire engineer.... does he work with race tires/teams/NASCAR ?.....

No. I work for a major tire manufacturer who will remain nameless. Some folks at my company - especially the lawyers - are somewhat uncomfortable that I spend so much time on the Interwebz. So I am very careful to disguise who I work for.

Besides, it shouldn't matter who work for. If I can not convey the "truth" about a particular subject, then I really don't have the right to call myself a tire engineer.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
....... Sometimes Tony Stewart talks trash about Goodyear when he has a bad day at the track.

Some would say it is a poor mechanic that blames his tools!

Frankly, Tony Stewart is a remarkably talented individual - and no matter how you slice it, sometimes the "tools" are going to let you down - tires included. But everyone has to work with the same tires. It is a credit to some of the race teams that they can do so much better with the same components.

My Goodyear Comfort Tread Tourings have dot 1810. Bought 'em from DT 9/10. I want my tires to wear out in 5 years which is about 40k for me. I get an 80k warrany tire so I get a 50% pro rata credit for the new set of tires and am on my way with fresh rubber. Do the same thing on my Bass Boat Trailer,five years and they are replaced whether they need it or not,lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back