195/75/R14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Summer Tires. Yes, yes, I know. There are topics here right now regarding snow tires. And yes, the PaceMarks will remain on the 91 Dynasty until late April, early May. But there is a real lack of options in this size. The options I am considering are...

Uniroyal TigerPaw AWPII WW
Mastercraft A/S IV WW
Toyo Extensa A/S
and.... that's about it.

195/75R14? 70R14 in that width is more common, might it make sense to look at options there? You can get some decent ones...

Yeah, it does, but that is the original tire size. I don't know which way I am gonna go yet, 75 or 70. But really, in the 75 there are not a lot of options. I'm kinda liking that Uniroyal...

I'm wondering - aloud, apparently - why the owner of an oil and tire shop would be asking for advice on specific tires. Sounds a bit backwards to me.

Nevertheless, if your vehicle - and I'm not sure what it is - originally came with 195/75R14's - my best guess is that it is a mid 80's GM FWD midsize - Celebrity, 6000, Ciera, etc. - and given that lots of stuff has happened since the vehicle was designed, why not take advantage of some of that by up sizing. Clearly going down to a 70 series is not only directionally the wrong way, but there isn't a lot available in larger 14".

Aren't 15" rims readily available? - and cheap? Wouldn't that open up a whole range of better options?

I don't know, Capri. Just to keep things interesting? I like to see others opinions as much as I like to give them. This is a great place t here real life reviews from others.

As I stated in the original post, 91 Dynasty. Hopefully, by about mid summer, I 'll be giving this over to my eldest son, and my BroncoII project will be complete. Not entirely sure I want to go the 15" rim. Sure, there are a lot of rims out there, but then I wouldn't be able to keep the OE hubcaps on there. Really, this whole car is stock except the radio, and I kinda think it is cool to keep it that way.

So knowing that, I am not putting FR380's on there. But I didn't guess asking opinions from others is too much to ask based on my business was a burden.

There are so few 195/75-14 available, of those available I would pick Hankook Mileage Plus II H725 or Kumho Solus KR21. I have Honkook Optimo H727 on Tracer for few weeks, the ride is very quiet and mileage seems to improve by about 1 MPG.

I endorse PandaBear's suggestion. That's the size I used on my old GM FWD A-bodies.

That said, the 205/70R14 size's days are numbered. There are half as many options in that size as there were six years ago.

If the car is one that you will keep longer than the life of these new tires, some 15 inch wheels may become necessary. 15 inch wheels from GM J-bodies should fit--same bolt pattern, centerbore, and offset! Tires in 205/65R15 are numerous and inexpensive.

Since these will probably be the last set of tires for the car, I'd go with the tiger paws. Though the AS are not bad either..

I've come to terms with th fact that it's not going to make much of a diiference what I put my 14s (195/70/14s), so I'm just going to find a decent all season for it, as the next tires after these will be a rim/tire upgrade (15s/16s)

But for now...just regular 14s. I figure either the TP AWPs, Altimax RTs, unless I pick a good deal on some CS4s....

I vote goes to the TPs...

Originally Posted By: HWEaton
Yeah, it does, but that is the original tire size. I don't know which way I am gonna go yet, 75 or 70. But really, in the 75 there are not a lot of options. I'm kinda liking that Uniroyal...

70 size would be easier to replace in case of a blowout. (In case you might not be there to replace it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back